Beating a dead horse (again).

guitarra

• Members

Hey Guys. I'm selling my old p.o.s drumset and I will be getting a better set soon. I am looking to spend anywhere from 500.00 to 700.00 dollars. I am REALLY leaning towards a Pearl Export. But, I also like the Tama Rockstar and Yamaha Stage Custom. I was wondering If anyone had any opinions or advice on any of these drums. Or maybe any other suggestions anyone would have?

Thanks Again Guys!

• Members

Test drive each one and decide which one sounds best to your ears. Also, factor in price, finishes, hardware, expandability, etc. into your decision. I'm sure you'll be happy with any of the three.

By the way, what kind of sticks do you use to beat a dead horse and where on your kit do you mount it?;)

• Members

Anyone of the mentioned kits are decent kits made by reputable companies. I recently purchased a Mapex Pro-M kit, I think you should take a look at the Mapex line of drums in addition to the ones you mentioned. This is one value oriented company I don't think you can get more quality for the buck. I am extemely pleased with my drums.

• Members

I was also considering Mapex M series Drums. So there good? One of my big plans is to expand my kit by adding a rack tom, a floor tom, a double bass pedal, and a couple of cymbals. From what I could tell, Pearl would be the cheapest to expand (as far as the toms go, cymbals of course are a different story).

Oh, and Snake, I use Vic Firth 5B Nylons or Ahead 5B Rock sticks to beat the dead horse. And man, does he get beat!

Thanks Guys!

• Members

I noticed that the Pearl Export has 6 ply shells, the Tama Rockstar has 8 ply shells, the Mapex M (M5255T) Series is an 8 ply set, the Yamaha YD are 9 ply.

My question is this, the more plies, the fatter or deeper the sound, right?

• Members

i dunno about the sound, but you gotta hear it to decide what you want... i mean plys aren't everything. but one thing i can tell you is the less plys the lighter the drum is which means you have less back pain after you're done moving your drums after a gig.

• Members

I agree with IL Duce. You should definatly check out a Mapex M-Series. I have one and it is awesome. When I was buying it I couldn't decide between a Mapex M-series or a Yamaha Stage Custom and I talked to alot of drummers and they all said that the Mapex was better than the Yamaha. I played both of them myself and I personally liked the Mapex better. I dont know if helps but Stage Custom shells are Mahogony with a little birch and M-series shells are basswood and maple. But it really is what you think feels the best, thats how I decided.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarra

My question is this, the more plies, the fatter or deeper the sound, right?

Actually no. A thicker shell equals a higher pitched, less resonant drum. A thinner shell equals a deeper pitched, more resonant drum. Shell material plays a large role in the tone too. And don't get too caught up in the number of plies. The over all thickness of the shell is what you really want to know. Eight thin plies could easily be thinner than or equal to six thick plies. I still don't understand why most drum companies refer to number of plies instead of thickness.

• Members

You should also check out Taye Drums

I was at a drum shop last week and I

sat down and played on a set of Taye

TourPros, which are equivalent to the

Export ELX series and they had the

feel and sound of much more expensive

drums.

tp.html

Archived