practicing effectively

merc

• Members

I was wondering how all of you utilize your practice time. I am trying to work out the best practice regimen as I need to budget my time this semester. Usually I have been trying to go to my studio for at least one to 2 hours every day, and working on rudiments, sight reading, and patterns for at least 30 minutes to an hour (that's the plan, anyway). Then I let myself play, and I try to work on problems in my technique and work over any difficulties I might have. I try to do this at least 3 times a week and the rest of the time I play with my 2 bands, and I don't get to really "practice" the homework stuff. I think this works ok, I have noticed I am improving. But, I was wondering if anyone has any practice suggestions so I can best utilize my time. Also, does anyone know of any good jazz drumming books or rescources?

Thanks!

Merc

• Members

Hey Merc, sounds like your on the right track.

I like to loosen up before practicing. Usually I'll take 10 or so minutes to just let me hands go nuts on the snare. I let the sticks go as high as my wrists & fingers will let them playing 16th's and then work in flams, drags, flamdrags, rolls, triplets and anything else i can think of. After that, i start with practicing any sheet music or solo's or anything like that.

If i go straight to set after the warm up. I'll set out the metranome and play a straight beat for 3 or so minutes per tempo. I'll go thru 5 or so tempos.

Then on to grooves my band is playing or practice jobbing songs. I usually end the session with playing whatever i want, fills, beats...whatever.

I suggest the warm up for 10 mins, seems to get the hands loose and easier to control when you buckle down on your practice stuff.

Archived