recommend me some police songs with good drumming

guitar420

• Members

They're all great. Next to You, So Lonely, Truth Hits Everybody, Message in a Bottle, It's Alright for You, Walking on the Moon, When the World..., Voices Inside My Head, Spirits in the..., Every Little Thing..., Rehumanize Yourself, etc. I could go on forever. The guy is incredible.

• Members

Stewart is the man.

Murder By Numbers

you heard it a million times but "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" has great drums on it.

Syncronicity I

Voices in my Head

How Stupid Mr Bates

Regatta de Blanc

Truth Hits Everybody (live)

No Time this Time (there are snare overdubs on this one just in case you are wondering) but still cool

Hole in my Life

any many, many others!!!!

see ya

• Members

OK. All that Stewart has done with (and without) the Police is brilliant. There is however one piece that always gives me a hard on. On Zenyatta Mondatta there is a song called "Driven to tears". It starts off with Stewart giving some flams on the snare. Then guitar and bass come in playing this ostinato riff. During this riff Stewart plays a bassdrum beat with some very cool hi-hat stuff. And if that weren't enough boner to start a song with, he always gives me the goosebumps with the tom roll he plays just before Sting starts singin the first words: "How can you say you're not responsible". THAT's Copeland. The rest of the song is as brilliant as ever :D

• Members

Originally posted by gretschzildjian

There is however one piece that always gives me a hard on.

For me, it's that little thing that kicks off "Can't Stand Losin' You"

....No, it's the way the "So Lonely" groove grabs you right away with both ears....No, it's the kick/cross-stick thing in "Walkin' On The Moon".....no, it the......

• Members

Originally posted by gretschzildjian

OK. All that Stewart has done with (and without) the Police is brilliant. There is however one piece that always gives me a hard on. On Zenyatta Mondatta there is a song called "Driven to tears". It starts off with Stewart giving some flams on the snare. Then guitar and bass come in playing this ostinato riff. During this riff Stewart plays a bassdrum beat with some very cool hi-hat stuff. And if that weren't enough boner to start a song with, he always gives me the goosebumps with the tom roll he plays just before Sting starts singin the first words: "How can you say you're not responsible". THAT's Copeland. The rest of the song is as brilliant as ever
:D

Totally agree. There's also a live version of that song out there, originally on a compilation called "Urgh! A music War." I think it showed up again later on the Message in a Box boxed set.

The first band I was ever in about 20 years ago decided that we wanted to cover Message in a Bottle. I thought "no big deal..sounds pretty straight forward." Boy, was I wrong. That song is TOUGH to do EXACTLY like he did..accents, dynamics, nuances. I've seen/heard him do 4 or 5 versions of that song, and it's never the same thing twice.

To me, he always had this Keith Moon kind of quality where he would be totally playing from the seat of his pants, mixing all kinds of styles, and just when you'd think he was out of control or going to lose it, he'd lock right back in where he was supposed to be.

I highly recommend the Message in a Box boxed set...it's got everything. Also, go to Amazon and find the Police's Synchronicity video. Shot on their tour in '83. Once you get past the crowd shots of the cheezy folks in their '80's styled dress and dance technique, it's great to see him work up close.

• Members

Originally posted by Old Steve

To me, he always had this Keith Moon kind of quality where he would be totally playing from the seat of his pants, mixing all kinds of styles, and just when you'd think he was out of control or going to lose it, he'd lock right back in where he was supposed to be.

Absolutely ! An unbelieveable sense of time. Like he had two clocks in his head. One on standard time and one on Stewart time, or something.

(Why am I talking about him in past tense, like he's dead?)

• Members

Originally posted by Kingnome

(Why am I talking about him in past tense, like he's dead?)

I saw him with Oysterhead in NYC last year, and sadly it wasn't the same as seeing him with the Police 20 years earlier. He's certainly older, and more subdued these days. Then again, maybe it was the music.

As noted on the board earlier, he'll be on the Craig Kilborne show tomorrow night playing with the new Doors lineup. Definintely worth checking out.

• Members

I highly reccomend, the Police LIVE double disc. The 1st disc is best though IMO, its the Regatta de Blanc tour. The second disc is the Syncronicity tour, which to me is not as good.Its just a little to polished with the back up singers and what not. The Blanc disc is just them and it is awesome.:cool: :cool: :cool:

• Members

someone mentioned his intros...come on man!!!! how could you NOT mention the intros to Regatta de Blanc, Message in a Bottle, Peanuts, Bombs Away, Man in a Suitcase, and a couple of my fave mix up change up rhythms Friends and Shambelles.

Oh and um...BUMP!!!!

• Members

Stewart is nasty on the set. I lost a we bit of respect for him when i read he overdubbed alot of his stuff. Message In A Bottle, alot of the crashes are over dubbed. But he is truely very, very nasty. I like wrapped around your finger, cause he did what exaclty needed to be done man it fit the song so perfectly.

• Members

I lost a we bit of respect for him when i read he overdubbed alot of his stuff.

Could you perhaps quantify what you mean by "alot"? I've heard he overdubbed just a couple songs, and what was overdubbed sounds good and would have been absolutely impossible to play. So how you do lose respect for a drummer who recognizes what a song needs, even if he can't play it?

• Members

It's amazing, isn't it, that the guy plays at, like, a 99 and when somebody finds that he overdubbed a few things, they bring him down to a 3 because he's no longer honest or authentic. The guy is one of the most talented drummers of the last 40 years. You can't take that away from him.

BTW, if there were ever a book published of all the overdubs in recorded music, and who actually played them, I think alot of people would be losing a wee bit of respect.

I'm surprised that in todays world of loops, and rap, and samples, and saggy waistbands and digital wastelands someone would even mind if Copeland overdubbed anything.

• Members

I saw Stewart play with The Doors a couple weeks ago, and I had to pick my jaw off the floor. He was simply mesmerising. I think I had my eye on him most of the night. He drove that band like a freight train and played with such energy. There wasn't a need for a drum solo, because he filled all night! You could tell he was really flying by the seat of his pants. He made this new band so much more interesting than Densmore would have. Amazing and one of my fave drummers!

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Schenck

I highly reccomend, the Police LIVE double disc. The 1st disc is best though IMO, its the Regatta de Blanc tour. The second disc is the Syncronicity tour, which to me is not as good.Its just a little to polished with the back up singers and what not. The Blanc disc is just them and it is awesome.
:cool:

On disc 1, check out "The Bed's Too Big Without You" during the almost-free-jam section.

There was a live compilation video that came out at the same time that the live video came out. Truly awe-inspiring, and it includes that video version of the same "Driven To Tears" as on the Urrgh comp (which, BTW, is chock full of great bands).

I read an interview with Andy some years ago, and he said that much of the clever, almost Cubist interplay between the three-- such as on songs like "Roxanne" or "Driven To Tears"-- was Stewart's idea.

Oh, and BUMP.

• Members

Thanks for the bump.....

To reiterate the "over-dub" thing a little....

Why is it that guitarists can layer and harmonize 'till the studio runs out of tracks, and he's seen as creative and gifted, but the drummer is expected to have no overdubs or punch-ins?

• Members

Originally posted by Kingnome

Why is it that guitarists can layer and harmonize 'till the studio runs out of tracks, and he's seen as creative and gifted, but the drummer is expected to have no overdubs or punch-ins?

Because drummers are better musicians, so we're expected to nail it perfectly the first time? ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Snake

Because drummers are better musicians, so we're expected to nail it perfectly the first time?
;)

No, drummers are expected to nail it the first time because they show up 45 minutes late. :D Just kidding :D LOL

Live, Stewart played enough drums for two people. That proves beyond a doubt that he overdubbed something because he felt like it.

• Members

Originally posted by FuzzBob

No, drummers are expected to nail it the first time because they show up 45 minutes late.
Just kidding
LOL

Live, Stewart played enough drums for two people. That proves beyond a doubt that he overdubbed something because he
felt like it.

LOL !! :D

Archived