"Myspace music store"

kurdy

• Members

I was wondering what everyone thinks of that new “music store” feature on Myspace. Apparently you put up an unlimited number of tracks on Myspace, which people can download for 99 cents. You get paid through some company called Snocap. Not sure what to make of it.

I’ve been contemplating for a while putting my stuff up on-line. I have sort of an “album”, basically a collection of songs I recorded at home on my PC between ’04 and ’06. However, I realize I’m not exactly in demand, nor is this project professional quality by any means, so I don‘t see the point in officially releasing the thing. However it does represent three years of writing and recording, and I am quite proud of it. I keep thinking I’d like for it to be available somewhere. I thought of making the whole thing available for free at Download.com or Soundclick or something like that, but I realize a larger number of people visit Myspace.

I’m just undecided on whether or not this is a good idea, or if there are factors I should consider first. Is there some info that one should know before they decide to do this?

• Members

the only thing I can think of is that while it's easy to post your songs on that Sno-cap (I think it's called) service and charge what you want, I'm not sure of the exclusivity of it (it must be pretty lax cause I've seen friends on I-tunes who also use snocap) legally speaking, but I'm sure of this, everyone is invited to put there songs up, so while it's nice to automatically put up an online download store and while you might be able to get some sales going, I don't think snocap has the same status as I-tunes of Emusic, because to get on those sites you have to have a slightly more professional presentation where as Snocap just allows you to throw songs up.

so there's just a difference in how it's percieved as an online store. That's all I think. But hey, if you can convince your fans to purchase tracks off of your myspace and you're okay with the cut of money that they take per track then go for it.

• Members

the only thing I can think of is that while it's easy to post your songs on that Sno-cap (I think it's called) service and charge what you want, I'm not sure of the exclusivity of it (it must be pretty lax cause I've seen friends on I-tunes who also use snocap) legally speaking, but I'm sure of this, everyone is invited to put there songs up, so while it's nice to automatically put up an online download store and while you might be able to get some sales going, I don't think snocap has the same status as I-tunes of Emusic, because to get on those sites you have to have a slightly more professional presentation where as Snocap just allows you to throw songs up.

so there's just a difference in how it's percieved as an online store. That's all I think. But hey, if you can convince your fans to purchase tracks off of your myspace and you're okay with the cut of money that they take per track then go for it.

Thanks, atemporarywind. No, from what I've read, it definitely isn't exclusive, you still can post your stuff anywhere else. And I don't really expect to make any money off it, so that isn't really an issue. I was just wondering how legit it is. I know there was that controversy on Myspace not too long ago about some fine print in their terms of agreement which gives them the right to do whatever they want with anything you post on their site. I understand they've since ironed out the technicalities, but it looks as if SnoCap is a separate company. I just would like to know if there's anything I'd be agreeing to that I really shouldn't be agreeing to.

Also, I'm still not sure whether it's a good idea to have an entire album on-line available for download. I've been thinking of doing it for a while, and as I said, it's really just a bunch of recordings I did on my PC, and it isn't like my stuff is a hot ticket that everyone's clamoring for, so I don't see any immediate harm in it. But not sure what it effect it might have long term, if I might want to do something more with it in the future. I don't know; maybe I'm overthinking this. Just want to keep my options open, you know? :)

• Members

CDBABY send me a link and instructions to use it on my MySpace page.

I trust cdbaby, but I don't think there is a lot of money to be made there.

Maybe I will use it for a live album or something like it... You know, there is millions of bands on myspace that give their music for free so I don't think many people will be ready to pay for it.

• Members

I just signed up as well... no opinions yet and I've yet to see how sales/hits are tracked, but it doesn't cost anything and it's a fairly painless process to join for CDBaby members - ergo, I figured I jump aboard the Sno-Cap ship. To early in the game to tell, but expectations are low as Myspace has become a veritable sellers market of virtual chaos and pandemonium. Better avenue for exposure than sales, apparently, but I'll take that over nothing.

Anyone else with Sno-Cap experiences?

• Members

Yeah--I don't expect to make any money off this, but that really isn't the point. I think it might help me a bit with exposure, but not much. If anything, having an online "store" on your page gets people's attention. It also allows people to get more of a taste of your music than the four songs on your Myspace player. Of course, the more artists who start adopting it, the less people will pay attention, so I figure if it's gonna have any impact at all, then best to adopt it while it's still quite new.

I believe using the feature is better than not using it, if you aren't giving up anything important. However, I read over the terms of agreement, and it's fairly lengthy. They do require you to give them some license to do what they want with your content. The question is--would I be agreeing to anything that I'd be sorry for later on? In other words, what do I have to lose? There's a chance it may not be anything significant, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's sort of like signing a contract; and they always say you should sign nothing without an attorney.

That's why I was hoping to get other people's feedback on this. Cheaper than hiring an attorney. :)

Archived