Diamond in the rough

Newman

• Members

I have probably brought this up before, but I am always interested in vintage drum sets. Has anyone here ever gotten a vintage set of drums at an ultra cheap price? I always envision going to a garage sale and finding a vintage ludwig from the late 60's that an old widdow is selling for 50 dollars. Anybody ever find a diamond in the rough, like at a swap meet, garage sale, auction, etc?

• Members

My second drum set was a vintage Ludwig Vistalite with vintage zildjian cymbals for $250. I had a friend that owned a music store and she found somebody that wanted to sell them. so I got them for $200 plus 50 for shipping them to me. Imo that was a great find.

• Members

I found a 1941 leedy drum set at an antique store in New Hampshire about 2 yrs ago. It had everything down to the bass drum and hi hat pedals. I paid 500 for it and turned around and sold it on ebay for 1000. Plus I got the enjoyment of taking it apart and cleaning it.

• Members

Originally posted by djembefola23

I found a 1941 leedy drum set at an antique store in New Hampshire about 2 yrs ago. It had everything down to the bass drum and hi hat pedals. I paid 500 for it and turned around and sold it on ebay for 1000. Plus I got the enjoyment of taking it apart and cleaning it.

Thats cool man. When you can take the time to refurbish something and then sell it for a nice profit, thats the best. Especially when its an old vintage Leedy.

• Members

I bought a Blue Sparkle Ludwig 4pc Jazz kit with a Ludwig/Paiste 18inch Crash/Ride for $65 back in 1986. They were stamped inside the shells with a date in 1965. This was my first kit. I wish I never traded it in on the Mapex kit I bought new in 1989. Although I did get $250 for it and I kept the cymbal. :)

Archived