Illumina Records and Ground Control - Marketing Weeee

• Members

This is too funny not to post. So I'm sure some of you may have heard of this "Illumina Records" and "Ground Control" and "Anti Drunk Driving" and "Drunk Aware Fight Driving" and "Illumina Control" and "Driving Ground Drunk Illumina" and the 50 other websites that all link back to eachother and charge naive bands to put them on a sampler CD for "promotion to thousands of labels" and other amazing things.

Here is my own experience... With commentary to show what I was thinking!

THE MESSAGE (sent to me through MySpace, instead of my email, which would have been more believable):

Hello,

My name is Sean Hussey. I am the Director of A&R for Illumina Records. Illumina is a Boston-based independent record label, entertainment public relations, and marketing company.

Who? What? Scam! SCAM!

Today while searching for groups and solo artists in your market, I came across your music online. I listened to your music, and I would like you to contact me directly because I liked what I heard. The song that caught my attention was “Rock.” It’s the type of solid rhythm and creative ideas we like to work with.

Oh really? How interesting... Maybe this could be real, I mean, I did make that little snippet to be the poppest thing that I could spontaneously think up one night... Rock, yes what a title for a rock song, but hey! Why wouldn't a label I've never heard of with no artists signed to it want to take my music and make money off of it?!

It is important for you to know that for every group I have sent this message to, I have listened to their music first. I just don’t have time to write every one of you a personal message.

I would like to discuss the possibility of you participating in a massive public relations campaign. The campaign associated with this project will literally expose your music to millions of potential new fans.

We are currently working on a Drunk Driving Prevention campaign called Ground Control Awareness. We are creating a series of publicity campaigns called “HIP HOP FOR LIFE”. In the next calendar year, Ground Control and Illumina Records will be producing large marketing and exposure projects in over 40 cities across the United States and the project artists involved will be getting loads of local and nationwide exposure and publicity.

Wait... Okay, PR campaign and millions of fans... Hip Hop for life? My {censored}ing song is titled "Rock" and has effeminate vocals and guitars in it. My profile has "Experimental/Alternative/Rock" at the top of it (or something like that).

Are you serious about your Hip hop career? If the answer is yes, please contact me. I will show you how to attract the type of national exposure that matters.

Oh yes, I want to be the baddest mother{censored}er this side of Wisconsin. Word to your mother!

(here was a bunch of generic {censored} about how it isn't spam or a a con or a spamcon, and how they deal with quadrillions and billions of people and are really successful)

If you want to see what we do for our clients, click on one of the links below, we are currently working with over 800 groups nationally.

www.myspace.com/orlando_rockers

http://illuminarecords.com/epk/boston

www.preventdrunkdriving.org/directcontact/epk.pdf

http://preventdrunkdriving.org/rockers_info/bandscheckthisout

I await your call.

Sean Hussey

Director of A&R

Illumina Records

Direct Line: (978) 473 3289

Fax: (978) 746.7043

Email:
Sean@illuminarecords.com

www.illuminarecords.com

SAVING LIVES... ONE SONG AT A TIME

Ruining naive bands... ONE SONG AT A TIME

Thanks for linking to a bunch of random sites that are all part of your organization, and all of which just link to each other instead of explaining anything, almost confusing enough to make me call you and be told how much I have a pay you to be put on your sampler!

Google search for more info and guard your wallet. As if you need to be told... At all...

So anybody else get contacted by this? And did any of you fall for it? I hope not...

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Before the Rise works with Illumina Records, check them out live at Toad's Place:

Check out the 1Loudstreet Live Music Festivals:

You could play one of these festivals!

Gee, thanks for that spam....

:rolleyes:

Are those gigs for Gay Pride? because from that picture.....

• Members

There are plenty of people out in the industry scamming, even some places and venues people think are legit are scamming artists on a daily basis. The best thing you can do is educate yourself on basic entertainment law and how the management/booking side of the industry works.

Archived