making a snare even better then it is

• Members

i have had a premier genista snare sitting around. i decided to do some stuff to it. I put some wood hoops on it and cleaned it up and it sounds pretty good. I recently used it at a gig and it sounded great. I am going to put 4 .... 1 inch vents in it to make it sound more dry and have more projection. It will probally replace my 5 1/2 x 14" tama starclassic snare. I will post pics when i am done.

• Members

vents........yuck. That's not making a good snare better. That's making a good snare a paper weight. If you're going to experiment like that why don't you buy a keller shell and use the hardware off your premier snare to make a vented snare. Then if it doesn't come out good, you can replace your old one. If you ruin the premier snare, it'll be worthless.

• Members

Related to the topic:

Newbie dumb-ass question: How do I remove the rat-a-tat sound from the snare, and get a more...organic...sound.

I've been using Hot Rods, and when I switch to sticks I tend to use a real soft touch on the snare because of the rat-a-tat sound.

I have the plastic Remo rings, and that helps a little. Do you people use duct tape, or other mods? I've seen different uses of tape, tape and fabric...but I haven't the foggiest.

It's probably something so common to players, that a guy like me just doesn't know about.

'Splain me, Lucy.

Thanks,

RK, dumb-ass.

• Members

The "rat a tat" sound is what a snare is supposed to sound like last I checked. Are you talking about sympathetic vibrations (hit a tom and the snare buzzes?). Some of that is unavoidable, but there are ways to control it.

If you're just talking about varying the amount of snare sound on the drum, you can experiement with several things. First, check out your snare strainer (the thing that turns the snares on and off). Turn 'em off and the "rat a tat" becomes more of a high pitched tom sound. Now turn the snares back on, and experiment with turning the wheel on the strainer to tighten and loosen the snares. Careful, if you go too tight, you'll choke the drum and it'll sound crappy.

Finally, experiment with tuning and different heads. Do a google search for "professor sound's drum tuning bible". It'll tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about heads and tuning.

Snares, IMHO, are the most complicated drums to tune but are also the drums with the widest range of sound possibilities. Even playing different parts of the head will change the snare response and tone you get out of the drum....and that's before you start hitting rimshots or cross sticking! Give me a better description of what sound you're trying to achieve and maybe I can help you out a little more.

• Members

Originally posted by Old Steve

The "rat a tat" sound is what a snare is supposed to sound like last I checked. Are you talking about sympathetic vibrations (hit a tom and the snare buzzes?). Some of that is unavoidable, but there are ways to control it.

If you're just talking about varying the amount of snare sound on the drum, you can experiement with several things. First, check out your snare strainer (the thing that turns the snares on and off). Turn 'em off and the "rat a tat" becomes more of a high pitched tom sound. Now turn the snares back on, and experiment with turning the wheel on the strainer to tighten and loosen the snares. Careful, if you go too tight, you'll choke the drum and it'll sound crappy.

Finally, experiment with tuning and different heads. Do a google search for "professor sound's drum tuning bible". It'll tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about heads and tuning.

Snares, IMHO, are the most complicated drums to tune but are also the drums with the widest range of sound possibilities. Even playing different parts of the head will change the snare response and tone you get out of the drum....and that's before you start hitting rimshots or cross sticking! Give me a better description of what sound you're trying to achieve and maybe I can help you out a little more.

I know it suppose to rat-a-tat. LOL!

I just want it a more subtle, less "aggresive". I like the sound I get using the Hot Rods, and I need to get used to sticks, and I don't play the same because of the volume and TAT that comes from my snare.

Har! I'm Terje-esque here, aren't I!

Tell me about using tape on the head, etc...

• Members

All tape will do is cut down on the resonance of the head. You're better off getting the correct head in the first place rather than trying to gum up the works with tape, IMHO.

Unfortunately, the only way to play more quietly is to learn to hit softly. You can play closer to the edge of the drum (away from the middle) and that will bring things down a little. You can also get lighter sticks.

At the end of the day, however, drums are fairly loud instruments. I'd recommend that you get your chops in order playing at a "normal" volume level (whatever that means) before you start working on playing either really loudly or really softly. Your first goal should be to learn basic technique, and this is best done at a "regular" (another subjective term) volume level. Then, once you've got some basic chops, work on dyamics and accenting.

You might want to consider working out on a practice pad a little bit. Sure, they're silent and boring, but it will allow you to develop your hands without limiting yourself volume wise. You can also get mesh heads for your kit for practice. These replace regular heads (think Roland's Vdrums) so you can play silently. I've used Sound Off's, which are big neoprene disks that sit on your drums. They muffle the hell out of your drums (and cymbals) so you can hit harder and still be quiet.

Other than that, a snare drum is designed to cut through, so the combination of volume combined with the drum's frequencies kind of work against being really quiet.

Try the sound offs or a pad, develop your technique, and then work on extreme dynamics after you've covered the basics.

• Members

Originally posted by Old Steve

All tape will do is cut down on the resonance of the head. You're better off getting the correct head in the first place rather than trying to gum up the works with tape, IMHO.

Unfortunately, the only way to play more quietly is to learn to hit softly. You can play closer to the edge of the drum (away from the middle) and that will bring things down a little. You can also get lighter sticks.

At the end of the day, however, drums are fairly loud instruments. I'd recommend that you get your chops in order playing at a "normal" volume level (whatever that means) before you start working on playing either really loudly or really softly. Your first goal should be to learn basic technique, and this is best done at a "regular" (another subjective term) volume level. Then, once you've got some basic chops, work on dyamics and accenting.

You might want to consider working out on a practice pad a little bit. Sure, they're silent and boring, but it will allow you to develop your hands without limiting yourself volume wise. You can also get mesh heads for your kit for practice. These replace regular heads (think Roland's Vdrums) so you can play silently. I've used Sound Off's, which are big neoprene disks that sit on your drums. They muffle the hell out of your drums (and cymbals) so you can hit harder and still be quiet.

Other than that, a snare drum is designed to cut through, so the combination of volume combined with the drum's frequencies kind of work against being really quiet.

Try the sound offs or a pad, develop your technique, and then work on extreme dynamics after you've covered the basics.

Excellent reply.

I've got 7's and 5's- using the 7's.

I'll keep working it out, mostly when the house is empty! I've found that as I get accostumed to the instrument, it gets easier to make a good sound.

Am I making sense at all?

Thanks for the 'sound' advise. Har! I crack myself up.

• Members

Have you checked out OCP snares? They got some interesting venting patterns, but I have found that too many holes hinder the sound rather than help it. That is only my opinion, so if you want to drill up your snare, go to it and tell us how it sounds.

• Members

Originally posted by rangerkarlos

I just want it a more subtle, less "aggresive". I like the sound I get using the Hot Rods, and I need to get used to sticks, and I don't play the same because of the volume and TAT that comes from my snare.

Switching to gut snares will create a warmer sound. So will buying a thicker resonance head (bottom). You can put tape on the resonance head, which will dull metal snares' attack. I've also seen people clip metal coils off of the snares until they're happy with the "snap", but I've also seen them lacerate their fingers on those sharp nubs badly enough to bleed all over their drums. Taking a broken snare head and cutting a 1" ring (14" outer diameter) is a cheap way to mellow the resonance of the top head.

• Members

Originally posted by rangerkarlos

I use the Vic Firth SD5 sticks instead of hotrods...they are a superlight, small orchestral stick,, but last MUCH longer than rods will....

I also changed the snares on my Tama StarClassic to the Grover Jazz weight, dark snare wires...that helped a lot too....

as Old Steve has mentioned,,, tuning is everything.......I have found that you can reduce the snare response by tuning the snare head pretty loose, AND keep the snare wire tension pretty loose as well......

• Members

Originally posted by HumblePye

Switching to gut snares will create a warmer sound. So will buying a thicker resonance head (bottom). You can put tape on the resonance head, which will dull metal snares' attack. I've also seen people clip metal coils off of the snares until they're happy with the "snap", but I've also seen them lacerate their fingers on those sharp nubs badly enough to bleed all over their drums. Taking a broken snare head and cutting a 1" ring (14" outer diameter) is a cheap way to mellow the resonance of the top head.

Bang on advice!

• Members

To cut down on snare buzz try taking a couple dryer sheets and putting them under your snares. Cut them up, and maybe place 2 very little pieces at each end of the snare wires. Experiment with different shapes and sizes until you find what you want. Hold the pieces on with a little tape.

Archived