What sizes should I get for my next kit?

Metalmaster

• Members

I am thinking about upgrading to an Export. I can't decide, however, between a set with 2 18x22's, 8x10, 9x12, & a 16x16 floor, or a kit with 2 16x24's, 10x12, 11x13, & 16x16 floor. What is everyone's opinion? I like a very loud, deep, resonant sound. I like being able to set my kit low as possible, however. Do you think I should opt for sound quality or comfort? How deep can I really tune the fusion size toms, and what are good heads to get the deepest, most resonant sound possible? I don't like a cardboard sound, but I do like to tune low. Thanks!

• Members

I play metal. With tons of intricate double bass patterns. The most comfortable and efficient way to do that is with two bass drums. The feel is totally different than a double pedal. I used to have a 2 bass kit, but sold half of it and downsized to a 4 piece with a double pedal. I made a mistake there. I regret very much getting rid of that second bass. I want that style of kit again.

• Members

if you are upgrading TO an export, what did you have originally? Personally, i like the sound of big drums, and all my favorite drummers use them. However, with drumheads the way they are now and with thinner shells being popular, i find that you can get a pretty low note out of smaller toms. I find that smaller toms are easier to tune and have a lot more punch. Once you start getting bigger and bigger toms, the sound of the kit gets muddy and all the toms just seem to run together. If you are going to do "intricate" double bass patterns, the 18x22s are going to have more feel and control than the 16x24 kick drums. Also, i don't really like the 12&13" tom combo, i like the toms more even dispursed, the kit sounds better as a whole to me that way.

• Members

Originally posted by stapes2260

if you are upgrading TO an export, what did you have originally? Personally, i like the sound of big drums, and all my favorite drummers use them. However, with drumheads the way they are now and with thinner shells being popular, i find that you can get a pretty low note out of smaller toms. I find that smaller toms are easier to tune and have a lot more punch. Once you start getting bigger and bigger toms, the sound of the kit gets muddy and all the toms just seem to run together. If you are going to do "intricate" double bass patterns, the 18x22s are going to have more feel and control than the 16x24 kick drums. Also, i don't really like the 12&13" tom combo, i like the toms more even dispursed, the kit sounds better as a whole to me that way.

I agree about the kick...the smaller ones will be punchier. For toms, what about 12, 14, 16? And are you just going to have one tom on each kick drum?

• Members

Originally posted by stapes2260

A crappy no name kit. It sounded ok but the hardware sucked and I didnt like the sizes. What's a good drumhead to get that huge sound? I like guys like Dave Lombardo, who get this huge, thunderous tone. (That's why I was looking at the big sizes.) I don't like to deaden the drum, though. I like the tone of Ambassadors, but I want to be able to tune low, which ambassadors don't do very well. Is there something that can do this?

Archived