Cracked Zildjian Cymbal - What to do??

Magnet182

• Members

Okay, so tonight at band practice I noticed that my Zildjian 18" Z Custom Medium Crash has aquired a very small crack, about a quarter inch, at the edge. I don't know when or how it happened, I just noticed it within the first few songs we went through. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone out there knew how to get it replaced. I know Zildjian has a 1 Year Warranty against defects, but I've heard from some on here that they have just had the retailer who they bought the cymbal from replace it for them. I bought this particular cymbal from Sam Ash and I think it was just over a year ago. Would Sam Ash possibly replace the cymbal or would Zildjian maybe still replace it?? Any suggestions anyone has would be great because I unfortunately don't have the extra cash to replace it myself. Thanks.

• Members

one year is one year... why do you think they would extend it just for you?

if it's under warranty,,, you have to send it bavk to Zildjian with proof of durchase,,,,,

IF they determine the cymbal cracked because of faulty workmanship or materials and NOT ABUSE,, they will gladly replace it...

in the mean time,, I would suggest you take a hard look at your drumming technique, and make adjustments as needed,, OR,,just get used to putting out extra $$$ for replacemnet cymbals, heads, ect...

:D

• Members

Originally posted by MoosBros

one year is one year...

I'd check with Zildjian anyways, even if it is over a year old. Sabian has the same warrenty on there cymbals, but I heard people bring em back after two or even three years if they are cracked (one of the reasons I went with Sabian). I'm not sure what Zildjian is like though. If it's just past a year, definately inquire. It looks bad on Zildjian if they got cracked cymbals floating around out there, that's why they maybe be willing to send ya a new one. And like said before, improve your technique and make the cymbals last longer especially if they're expensive cymbals.

ND

• Members

one year is one year... why do you think they would extend it just for you?

That's why I mentioned that I've heard other people say Zildjian or the retailer replaced cymbals older than one year. No, I don't think I am special just checking all my options. Is there anything wrong with that?

in the mean time,, I would suggest you take a hard look at your drumming technique, and make adjustments as needed,, OR,,just get used to putting out extra $$$ for replacemnet cymbals, heads, ect...

And I would suggest you don't make assumptions so quickly. This is the first cymbal I have had crack in the 6 years I've been playing. And right now I am still playing on the same ride, hi-hats, and 16" and 18" crashes (all Zildjian) I have had for the last 4 years. I am a hard hitter but I know good technique and use it. That's the biggest reason why I am so pissed the cymbal cracked, because I am so careful to take care of my cymbals (and all my drum equipment).

• Members

Originally posted by Grimmace

shell out the extra $$$ and get some Paiste sigs.

Shellin out extra bucks doesn't always mean you won't get a cymbal that cracks. Mistakes happen and faulty products do get through. Plus, you can spend big $ on something other then Paiste. :p

ND

• Members

Originally posted by NewfieDrummer

Shellin out extra bucks doesn't always mean you won't get a cymbal that cracks. Mistakes happen and faulty products do get through. Plus, you can spend big $ on something other then Paiste.
:p

ND

This is very true.

• Members

Originally posted by Magnet182

Okay, so tonight at band practice I noticed that my Zildjian 18" Z Custom Medium Crash has aquired a very small crack, about a quarter inch, at the edge. I don't know when or how it happened, I just noticed it within the first few songs we went through. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone out there knew how to get it replaced. I know Zildjian has a 1 Year Warranty against defects, but I've heard from some on here that they have just had the retailer who they bought the cymbal from replace it for them. I bought this particular cymbal from Sam Ash and I think it was just over a year ago. Would Sam Ash possibly replace the cymbal or would Zildjian maybe still replace it?? Any suggestions anyone has would be great because I unfortunately don't have the extra cash to replace it myself. Thanks.

You cracked a "Z"?

You must be an animal :D;)

• Members

Yeah, seriously. I guess it would be one thing if you cracked an A/Custon A or K or something...but a Z Custom??? I have a Z crash and I think I could drop it from a 10 story building w/o denting it!

But in all seriousness, I defenetly think you should re-examine your technique. With the proper technique you can still hit hard and make a loud sound but you can definetly do so w/o craking it.

Another thing, think about using smaller/lighterweight sticks. When I started w/ Zildjian ZBTs I torn them up cause I had poor technique and used monster sticks. I don't mean to sound to critical, but I legitimately am surprised you broke a Z...

• Members

Originally posted by NewfieDrummer

Shellin out extra bucks doesn't always mean you won't get a cymbal that cracks. Mistakes happen and faulty products do get through. Plus, you can spend big $ on something other then Paiste.
:p

ND

I think that if you buy VINTAGE cymbals,,, there is NO question that they are good ones, tried and true... since they are already well used, and usually over 50 or more years old.....

so it boils back down to proper technique...if you broke even ONE cymbal in your lifetime,,, there's a good chance you could stand to re-evaluate your approach to technique a bit...:eek::D

• Members

Originally posted by preetz15

With the proper technique you can still hit hard and make a loud sound but you can definetly do so w/o craking it.

That's the exact technique I use.

Originally posted by preetz15

I don't mean to sound to critical, but I legitimately am surprised you broke a Z...

That's my whole point of trying to have the cymbal replaced DUE TO DEFECTS. I can't believe that I cracked a Z Custom either. Trust me, I'm a poor musician and can't afford to do anything that would make me go through equipment faster than normal - cymbals, sticks, drumheads, anything. That's why I have taken the time to learn correct and proper technique.

Seriously, is it that crazy to think that out of the thousands and thousands of cymbals Zildjians makes that I happened to get ONE bad one??

• Members

Actually I might be able to help you. When you send it to ZIldjian say you bought it from one of your hometown-locally owned stores. Cymbols sit there FOREVER without being bought...but every now and then people come and buy them. Does the warrenty start as soon as the store purchuses the cymbols from Zildjian to sell to the customer? No, of course not. And also keeping in mind that ZIldjian has no idea how long that cymbol sat on the shelf until you bought it they'll more than likely assume its less than a year if you say so (so very few of their cymbols break so they can easily say this). Its because of this that my hometown store basically says you have about 5-6 years of warrenty (maybe more) when you buy cymbols...cause you can almost always get them to take them back. Best of luck!

But no, to be blunt, I really don't think Sam Ash cares at all...they won't replace it. Zildjian may...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I have a nice, shiny new 18" Zildjian Z Custom Medium Crash.

And yes, it was sent directly from Zildjian after I sent back the one that cracked on me, (notice I didn't say the "one I cracked").

And yes, it was replaced due to defects.

And yes, it had been over one year since I purchased the cymbal and it was still replaced.

Just in case anyone was interested.

• Members

Congrats!

I've found that if you're reasonable, and not deceptive, some companies would rather keep a customer happy and issue a replacement even if the actual warranty/dates/etc. are a little sketcy.

Case in point: I had a golf club (Callaway Big Bertha) that I had owned for about a year and a half, and noticed that it was developing small cracks in the shaft. I took it back to the store...no reciept...and asked about getting the club repaired, completely expecting to have to pay for the repair. Instead, the guy walked into the back room, pulled out an identical NEW club, handed it to me and told me to have a nice day.

Why would he do this? First, he knows that the manufacturer will replace the club to his shop...they do a ton of volume and are considered to be one of the best stores in the area. One club (that probably cost about $5 to make, but retailed for over $200 is no big deal in the scheme of things). Secondly, the store owner knows that his goodwill toward me, the customer, will be rewarded down the line. I continue to shop at this store to this day because I know they give great service. The guy COULD have made me wait for the manufacturer to send a new club and THEN given me the replacement, but instead he made my life more hassle-free and gained a lifetime customer.

Not suprising that Zildjian sees things the same way. Unfortunately with the emergence of music mega-stores, the customer tends to lose out when it comes to getting good customer service.

Good luck with the new cymbal...DON'T BREAK THIS ONE!!!!

• Members

Actually I've heard that since Z Custom cymbals are so rigid compared to the other lines (A, K, etc) that they actually are somewhat more prone to breaking. Z Customs aren't designed to be unbreakable, they're designed to be "Frk'n Loud" as Zildjian themselves say... :)

Just a thought... I've seen a couple other drummers with some cracked Z Customs as well. These guys don't even hit as hard as other drummers I've seen.

Archived