yamaha oak custom

braindonor35

• Members

I was reading a review of yamaha's oak custom in Drum magazine, and they made them seem to be only for rock type of music. If anyone has played them, what did you think? Did they sound good for other syles as well? How did they sound overall?

• Members

Yeah, I tried them...came damn close to buying a set even. Nice drums with a more than nice price point. They would make for an excellent kit regardless of the type of music. To sum the kit up in one word..... PROJECTION! These drums pack a ton of punch followed by a very clear, focused and slightly high end decay. Great live kit with or without mics! Love the floor toms. Yamaha went full-out with the larger toms. Lots of sizes available, some odd-ball sizes even. Buy them! Yamaha has the finest quality control in the biz, hands down. I say this even though I'm a Gretsch man. I love Gretsch but in terms of quality control Yamaha is simply unbeatable. Zero flaws!

Here's my prediction: In 2-3 years, after increased demand for the kit, the Oak customs will jump to the Maple/Birch Custom Absolute price point. Buy them now while their cheap! Remember what happened with the Beech Customs?

• Members

Originally posted by rumblebelly

I've never tried one but the drummer for Flogging Molly uses one. Sounded okay I guess. Couldn't really tell since he only plays a 3-piece...sorry I wasn't much help. I guess they are meant to cut through the mix.

I'm a big Flogging Molly fan. I never realized their drummer used them.

• Members

Yeah, he said he uses them because they cut so well through the mix. With all those instruments I guess I could understand. Great band, saw them about a month or so ago in Denver. About accidently knocked over the singer when he was boarding the tour bus. What a funny short little man.

Archived