Snare tuning .... high/low

Hanisch

• Members

Hey! thanks for opening

Do you know how I could achieve a really fat snare sound with my 14 x 5,5 wood snare? I hate these piccolo shotgunsounds. My favourite is the one of the Queens of the Stoneage.

Does it depend on the resonator head as well?

thanks

bye

• Members

I would think you would just need to mess with the tuning, just don't tune it too high! ;) Make sure all the lugs are even in tension. I think the resonate head doesn't do a whole lot regarding tone. Mostly snare response? I could be wrong though. Experiment a bit...

My batter is tuned just a little higher than Grohl's on that album. The resonant head is a little higher than my batter if that helps.

Yeah, I used to like that piccolo sound when I first started playing but now I find it distracting.

• Members

Try different heads and mess with the tuning. Tune the batter as low as you can go while still keeping a good response. Yes the res head matters.

A Remo Powerstroke for example sounds much fatter than an Ambassador. I really don't care for either head, but there's an instant, noticeable difference between the two. Ask your local shop what heads they recommemend for a fatter tone.

Archived