Why such big kits?

Slap_Thatb_Ass

• Members

Originally posted by heinz

And expressing an opinion doesn't start a flame war, but painting such a wrong image when you have no clue who I am or what I do is kind of, well, incorrect.

I wasnt paiting any image of you and I wasnt trying to single you out. I was just making a generalization in the same condescending tone about small kits in an attempt to make a point about the general tone of every single guy I have ever met with a small kit. Its like you guys have an inferiority complex or something.

Its always the same thing from you guys

• Members
Originally posted by heinz

"All I am saying is there are musical styles out there where a drummer serving the song means a {censored} load more than hiding in a dark corner of the stage trying not to be noticed going boom tap boom boom tap and just being an after thought in the music."

I set up in the front line, between the bass and guitarist/singer, so I'm not hiding. That's a pretty large assumption based on my desire to find the essence of the song and bring it out.

And naturally you have to use what the song asks for. If it's Latin, then you play a Latin kit. Isn't that what playing for the song means? Wouldn't using a Latin set be a dis-service to a psycho-billy song, as well? Duh.

For me, a smaller kit is less distracting. That's all. My preference. I don't think you're showboating if you use a big kit. I just don't want to drag one around my own self.

And expressing an opinion doesn't start a flame war, but painting such a wrong image when you have no clue who I am or what I do is kind of, well, incorrect.

it's all good !!! :D

• Members
Originally posted by Fafnir777

Of course I have. My younger brother, Dan Brown, is one of the top bass players in the world. Last year he opened for Wilco for 3 months, he regularly travels as a hired hand, and he made David Briggs, the Producer for Neil Young go "God Damn! You're amazing!" (Briggs produced my brother's former band , Royal Trux, CD [Thank You]on Virgin Records.)

My question was rhetorical.

The Majority of bass players simply play the root, and that would not require more than 1 string.

My own bass player is a lead guitarist playing bass. He plays it with a pick. He is both the lead guitarist and the bass player....it's been one of the drawbacks of playing in a band with him...most guitar players can't deal with the fact that Mick plays the way he plays. Generally, we just choose to have a Rhythm guitarist because of that issue.

He uses custom made basses these days (even though we're looking for a Villette-Citron 8 string...but the cheapest I've seen was about $5,000 used.), and the strings are the same width as 4 guitar strings-since he plays with a pick, he doesn't want them as far apart as a standard bass....even though he also has been known to break out the Ric's on occaision. He is like Chris Squire meets composer Richard Wagner.... we always claimed to be Wagner's Bastard heavy metal children...
:D

Tim

I'm impressed(about your brother...

Over the years, in my experience,,, bassists can make exellent guitarists,,, but guitarists hardly ever make exellent bassists..... go figure? :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Ponch_A_Rella

To me it just comes across like jealousy wrapped up in a blanket of arrogance to try and conceal it.

Now that's like my saying that you're insecure and think your big kit makes you a better drummer or makes people think you're better than you are. I don't believe that. The question is personal. Must your opinion have a barb?

I'm not investing any emotion in this. It's your choice, but just because I use a small kit and stay away from the toms doesn't mean I have some sort of complex any more than your using a big kit does. B does not follow naturally from A in that logic. The reason we use them is that we like them. For whatever reason. I don't dislike you or question your motive for using a big kit. But I do have my opinion on why I prefer the little kit. It helps me concentrate and I think that helps me do a better job.

• Members
Originally posted by MoosBros

I'm impressed(about your brother...

Over the years, in my experience,,, bassists can make exellent guitarists,,, but guitarists hardly ever make exellent bassists..... go figure?
:eek:

Yeah, my brother got all the talent. Hahaha Or maybe it was just luck? He's good though...he's so good that it's scary...of course, then again he's 31 and has been playing since he was 7....and he puts in about 5 hours a day, split between the electrics and an Acoustic upright. I had some fun with that...we took an old Bow that he had and I superglued a trigger to it, so that we could plug the trigger into a bass amp. That thing sounds awesome!

Too bad he and I don't get along.:(
(He just doesn't like me for some reason. I've tried to extend the Olive branch so many times it isn't funny. and of course, each time I draw back a stump.
I asked my Mom one time why he didn't like me and she said, "It's not you at all - he's just an asshole! He can't say anything good about anyone."

So, that made me feel better that at least it wasn't anything that I ever did...but it doesn't help the situation.
Oh well.....you know what they say-you get to pick your friends, but not your family members.

Tim

• Members

Well now...

Thanks for all the informative posts! I've learned that drummers like to stay on topic more than bassists :D and that funds, preference, song requirements govern what kits to use. Thats the same as with bassists, too.

I figured there would be some kind of argument in this thread, and It's OK bassists do that too :D

• Members

I've always found the less things I have to hit in front of me, the more my ability and musicianship shines through. I won't say "less is more" because that wouldn't explain guys like Simon Phillips or the like. But I will say for me, less means more freedom.

I've played everything from blues to jazz, rock to raggae and latin to death metal - all on a 4 piece kit...

The gear (or lack of) does not definie the musician.

• Members

Did an audition for an electric blues band once per instructions only bringing a snare, hats and kick. We made music, but I really missed having a ride.

Most often I use 4-5 drums with 2-4 cymbals and hats.

• Members

I don't own a big kit (yet) but I love playing on them.

I started playing drums after 10 years of guitar playing. I needed to record and didn't want to try to find a drummer that didn't have an attitude.

With that being said, the way I hear the music in my head and the drum beats I like the option of having a larger pallet to choose from. You can do some amazing things with a 5 piece, but add a few more toms to the mix and it can only get better.

Archived