2003 Pacific CX Drums - Which heads?

• Members

Alright, I'm new to this forum, but I figured that this would be the best place to get insights on replacing the crappy stock heads on the new PDP 2003 CX set I stole from GC ($599 brand new, sans the crap double bass pedal it usually comes with). I did some searching, but I didn't find anything that helped me too much. I'm trying to get the stereotypical poppy sound of the toms and kick that most OCDP players get (like Sexton or Steineckart). I personally am not huge on this sound, but it's best for what I'm going to be doing (filling in for other drummer). I figure an Evans on the kick, probably with a hole or two, but as for the toms, I'm lost. Any insight on the different tones from each brand would be awesome.

Is it just me, or are the NEW Pacific kits the greatest thing to come along in quite some time? The quality difference between my 2003 and a friend's 5 year old PDP is beyond my grasp. If tuned right, these things will pretty much hold their own with a lot of kits twice as costly.

• Members

I actually own and play the Pacific CX kit regularly. I added the 7x8 inch tom as well. Before I bought the kit, I knew the heads had to go. I have a drum store and sell different brands but I found the best sound from the Attack heads. I sell alot of Attack heads.

I used an Attack Thinskin 2 for the batter sides, white coated. Then I used a single ply medium coated head for the resonant side. Any extra ring I use a single piece of moongel on the batter side, right on the Attack logo. I still get a pretty lively tone and I have a nice tuning range. To get a little deader sound, you can use the Attack single ply coated with a tone ridge on the resonant side.

The Attack heads give a nice tone. Without the moongel, it's a little too lively for what I play but would suit other styles. I play mostly in church.

The other reason I like Attack heads is that they are tough as nails. I've had these heads on numerous kits. It takes a beating and keeps going on. They last longer than the Remo or Evans heads I've had.

The kick drum I actually kept the batter Pacific head and changed the resonant head to a white coated dw head. I left it solid with no hole and only use the Pacific pillow inside. I get a great "woof" sound and still have a great pedal response.

This is my experience. Your tastes may be different than mine. but this worked well for me.

You are correct in that the CX kits today are much better than the older CX or CXL kits. The older ones used mahogany shells. The new ones are maple. However, I personally like the older LX models a little better than the newer ones.

• Members

I've never used Attack heads, but it sounds like it might be worth a shot. My heads get worn out fast (the pdp ones were pretty much toast in about a week). I'm getting an awesome sound out of the kick already, after cutting two 4" holes into the resonant head and tuning it low. Sounds EXACTLY like the DW kick I played at GC while they were ringing up the PDP.

You say you actually sell the heads? If you can quote me a good price on the Attacks, I'll buy em from you. I still can't believe how good this kit sounds for what I paid.

• Members

I bought the cheaper birch kit and am very impressed. Does anyone know who makes the shells? I doubt it's Keller.

Yeah, you could go ahead and quote us a "HC-Forumites-Who-Own-A-PDP-Kit-And-Want-New-Heads" price on those Attack heads. :D

• Members

I inspected the inside of a tom closely when I was originally tuning the set, and the maple is probably like B/B+ grade (not {censored} grade like some people would suspect for the price). I doubt they're using the same keller shells as the real DWs, but the low price is 90% due to cheap Mexican labor. This kit sounds better than ANYTHING I have heard in the under $1000 price range (I'm taking retail price, and not special I got a super good deal one time only price - drums that cost $1000 or so on a regular basis) when tuned properly. I had a friend spend around $1300 on parts and shells, and made an awesome custom keller maple set (no snare, just the kick/toms), and he's frustrated as hell that my "cheapie" set sounds about 80-90% as quality as his. I can sit here and take heat from anyone who wants to dish it out, but I'm telling you, get one of these sets (shell pack if you can find it, much cheaper) before something goes wrong. It's been too good to be true for me thus far. I've yet to see anybody say anything bad about the 2003 CX/LX models, except for one review at musicgearreview.com saying something about bearing edges (mine are perfect).

• Members

I thought i read somewhere that there is an extension set of gear for the CX/LX available now online. I could have sworn that there was a was a way to get a 20" CX kick, but I could be wrong. You could easily make one on your own, but you'd have to wait for the {censored} to be delivered to you. My kick sounds so better than the premier xpk i had before.

Archived