So, what does everyone think of...

Delle_Rose

• Members

...Smashing Pumpkins' new marketing approach?

It seems interesting to me. MySpace is more or less their official site. Their publicist works via her MySpace and organizes FAN sites for every city/country, collects fan artwork, keeps the fans up to date, etc... all via MySpace. And for info/references, they link to fansites which have been around for years.

It seems EVERYTHING is being done via MySpace and pre-existing internet sites to create an army, so to speak (I'm sure the flag logo isn't an accident). And it seems to be pretty successful so far.

I've had my doubts on the impact of MySpace (a la acts like Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and Lily Allen), but the Pumpkins' approach seems to fix all the errs in the others' ways (well, at least most - still a few loose ends, I guess)...

What does everyone else think? Do you think this would have been possible if they weren't already a well-known band? If so, do you think there're ways an unknown band could tweak this to something that WOULD work for them?

• Members

I think it's smart. I like myspace because it helps me determine where my fans are and where to target/increase promotion. It's not the only tool we use, but it sure as hell works. If i had 500,000 fans I'd use their approach to set up a mad promo blitz.

• Members

I think it's smart. I like myspace because it helps me determine where my fans are and where to target/increase promotion. It's not the only tool we use, but it sure as hell works. If i had 500,000 fans I'd use their approach to set up a mad promo blitz.

It's damn smart....for them. But the question is Do you think this would have been possible if they weren't already a well-known band? The answer is "not bloody likely." Like you said, they already have 500,000 fans, none of which were a result of myspace.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It's damn smart....for
them.
But the question is
Do you think this would have been possible if they weren't already a well-known band?
The answer is "not bloody likely." Like you said, they already have 500,000 fans, none of which were a result of myspace.

Agreed

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Within a year I think Myspace is going to be overrun by those spammer viruses that get into accounts without the user even knowing. And those viruses post bulletins and comments for them. Look at maybe some old local, broken up bands and you'll see their last 10 comments are spam. Eventually people will get sick of this and move onto someone else.

That's my theory atleast. I just deleted my myspace as I was spending too much time on it. I still run my band's myspace but that's all.

• Members

Myspace is an invaluable tool for any band that plays music today. It's perfect really. All in one place, you have music samples (or even downloads), pictures, information, and blogs. It replaces the need for an e-mail list with its bulletins and replaces the need for a website with blogs...

When I have a band I want to check out, I go to their myspace, not their website. When I want to follow a band, I do so through their myspace. It's like an "internet" built for musicians...

I was bitching the other day in the Effects forum about a local band being signed by Warner/Reprise. They completely suck, but accumulated 1.8 million plays on myspace as an independent band--never toured, no national marketing. Tell me THAT isn't special...

• Members

I was bitching the other day in the Effects forum about a local band being signed by Warner/Reprise. They completely suck, but accumulated 1.8 million plays on myspace as an independent band--never toured, no national marketing. Tell me THAT isn't special...

Yeah, but let's see where they are a year or two from now. Warner and other big labels are grasping at straws right now, too. There is simply no evidence that free plays on myspace translates to sales. This band is going to have to tour and perform live at some point in front of more people than just their friends, and is going to have to be able to pull a 90 minute show. I will be completely amazed if they go anywhere at all. But hey, weirder things have happened.

• Members
Myspace is the flavor of the year. It's free, easy to use and with just a small amount of know - how, you can build a pretty fair page. It's just another tool to use to promote a band but at some point, the cost of running myspace will be greater than the income from advertising and everyone will get the dreaded email stateing that to keep you page, you will now have to pay $19.95 a year..... or month. Then it will fall by the way side just like Homestead did. Never put all your eggs in one basket.

• Members

Yeah, but let's see where they are a year or two from now. Warner and other big labels are grasping at straws right now, too. There is simply no evidence that free plays on myspace translates to sales. This band is going to have to tour and perform live at some point in front of more people than just their friends, and is going to have to be able to pull a 90 minute show. I will be completely amazed if they go anywhere at all. But hey, weirder things have happened.

Oh yeah, I agree. One to two years is pretty much the lifespan of a major label band anymore though. No one wants to spend the money to develop and maintain a band for any longer than that...

They're catchy (or in my opinion, generic) enough to release one good single, do a music video, get on a teen movie soundtrack and be done. I'm just surprised they got to that point at all...

• Members

*cough* The Fray *cough*

• Members

*cough* The Fray *cough*

Oooh!~ One out of 897,649,000,000,000 :rolleyes: bands.

And I'm pretty sure they were making money before myspace.

From VH1:

"Formed in 2002 by Isaac Slade, spc.gifThe Fray earned a loyal grassroots following through impressive area gigs and the support of local radio which led a listen-driven campaign to get the band a record contract. With strong word-of-mouth, the band won "Best New Band" honors from Denver's Westword Magazine and garnered substantial airplay on two of Denver's top rock stations - the demo version of "Over My Head (Cable Car)" became KTCL's top 30 most played song of 2004 in just 4 months. The band signed to Epic Records in 2004 and will release their debut album "How To Save A Life" this September (2005)."

Don't see anything about giving away free music on myspace leading to their success. Do you?

• Members

Oooh!~ One out of 897,649,000,000,000
:rolleyes:
bands.

And I'm pretty sure they were making money before myspace.

From VH1:

"Formed in 2002 by Isaac Slade,
spc.gif
The Fray earned a loyal grassroots following through impressive area gigs and the support of local radio which led a listen-driven campaign to get the band a record contract. With strong word-of-mouth, the band won "Best New Band" honors from Denver's Westword Magazine and garnered substantial airplay on two of Denver's top rock stations - the demo version of "Over My Head (Cable Car)" became KTCL's top 30 most played song of 2004 in just 4 months. The band signed to Epic Records in 2004 and will release their debut album "How To Save A Life" this September (2005)."

Don't see anything about giving away free music on myspace leading to their success. Do you?

No - there were certainly other factors. Myspace "plays" were initially a big part of their appeal. Especially in the initial stages (post major label deal, pre-album release). I didn't mean to say that myspace was responsible for their success - that's not the case, but I do believe it was a factor. I think, particularly at that point in time, The Fray and myspace shared a lot of common demographics.

I know/met the guys in the band, and I really wish nothing but the best from them. I really do. I was taking classes with the guys when they signed their deal. They got lucky, and I don't mean that as a bad thing. They do work hard. They were in the right place, at the right time, with the right music, and it paid off. They got a lot of breaks that a lot bands don't get - they got radio play on a Clear Channel station as a local band, that until they signed (or were near-signed), had never played a show outside of their state (their showcase was the first show outside the state). I hope that their follow-up kicks ass, and sells just as well.

It wasn't my intent to start an argument, or anything like that. Though I do think myspace played a role in their popularity. I meant it a little more tongue in cheek then it may have came across. I find myself identifying with your view of myspace. And let's be honest 95% of the music on myspace is really, really bad.

For the record, I don't buy myspace as the new promotion medium. I think it's a fad. I think myspace will continue to be effective, but I don't think it'll remain as the force it's perceived to be now. As far as what makes a band these days, I would have to say that the answer is still radio play.

• Members

No - there were certainly other factors. Myspace "plays" were initially a big part of their appeal. Especially in the initial stages (post major label deal, pre-album release). I didn't mean to say that myspace was responsible for their success - that's not the case, but I do believe it was a factor. I think, particularly at that point in time, The Fray and myspace shared a lot of common demographics.

I know/met the guys in the band, and I really wish nothing but the best from them. I really do. I was taking classes with the guys when they signed their deal. They got lucky, and I don't mean that as a bad thing. They do work hard. They were in the right place, at the right time, with the right music, and it paid off. They got a lot of breaks that a lot bands don't get - they got radio play on a Clear Channel station as a local band, that until they signed (or were near-signed), had never played a show outside of their state (their showcase was the first show outside the state). I hope that their follow-up kicks ass, and sells just as well.

It wasn't my intent to start an argument, or anything like that. Though I do think myspace played a role in their popularity. I meant it a little more tongue in cheek then it may have came across. I find myself identifying with your view of myspace. And let's be honest 95% of the music on myspace is really, really bad.

For the record, I don't buy myspace as the new promotion medium. I think it's a fad. I think myspace will continue to be effective, but I don't think it'll remain as the force it's perceived to be now. As far as what makes a band these days, I would have to say that the answer is still radio play.

What he said...

...and in addition to that, no one had ever heard of them before 2004. The old guys in the band had another band that never went anywhere, so they recruited some younger players and recorded demos and put them online. Myspace was the first time I heard The Fray and I'm pretty sure it was the first time all their 16-20 year old female fans did too. That band went from a recording projects to a really popular college act almost overnight just from a bunch of college kids checking out their music online.

It helped that Coldplay was being played every ten minutes on every radio station, but that band was totally an internet sensation before becoming a legitimate live act.

• Members

Fair enough. :wave:

• Members

What he said...

...and in addition to that, no one had ever heard of them before 2004. The old guys in the band had another band that never went anywhere, so they recruited some younger players and recorded demos and put them online. Myspace was the first time I heard The Fray and I'm pretty sure it was the first time all their 16-20 year old female fans did too. That band went from a recording projects to a really popular college act almost overnight just from a bunch of college kids checking out their music online.

It helped that Coldplay was being played every ten minutes on every radio station, but that band was totally an internet sensation before becoming a legitimate live act.

What? That article I posted al happened before 2004, and before Myspace was even on the radar. They signed a deal in 2004. Maybe they got more known nationally, but the point is, they were already on the way anyway.

• Members

What? That article I posted al happened before 2004, and before Myspace was even on the radar. They signed a deal in 2004. Maybe they got more known nationally, but the point is, they were already on the way anyway.

...and what I'm arguing is that between 2002 and 2004, they weren't that big club band around town that everyone had to see.

My little sister was a freshman at CU in 2004 and I specifically remember her telling me about a band she saw on campus that she really liked. That club doesn't hold 100 people and I remember trying to find their music online and ended up finding them on myspace (before I ever had an account). Not long afterward, the radio picked up that song and the rest is history.

I'm not saying myspace is the sole reason they got as big as they did either, but it certainly didn't hurt...

All it takes is one REALLY really good song...

Archived