question about electronic drums

guitar420

• Members

im needing to get something to practice on while im at college (away from my set), and i was thinking about getting a roland rhythm coach or some low end electronic kit (would have to have mesh heads cause im renting a v-club right now and the rubber is too noisy/feels horrible). with the triggering, can it still be accurate for drum rolls? is there a certain speed where it cant destinguish single strokes? like say doing what i think is called swisss triplets (triplets but each count is RL so its double the speed, a la fills of Know One KNows), can i practice getting those clean at maximum speed?

• Members

For electronic drums, things like "ghost hits" when it registers a hit and you didn't hit it, and when you hit it and it doesn't register, go away the higher up you go. The more you pay, the more sensative the pads will be.

Also, if you're looking for mesh heads, what about the Pearl Rhythm Traveler? It's a compact kit that comes with mesh heads, and if you wanted to hear tones, you could then buy triggers.

• Members

Not a bad idea, Chabo.

I believe Pacific makes a kit called "the Chamelion" which has mesh heads on one side and regular heads on the other. This is cool for this application because 90% of the time you're going to want silent practice - but lets say you come across some guys who want to jam - or you get a gig at the coffee house on campus. This kit will allow you a bit more flexability in that respect. Also, you won't have to lay-out the kind of cash necessary to get you into a decent e-drum outfit - save your cash for those textbooks and Trapper-Keepers.

good luck.

Archived