Flaming Lips Drums

Dib432

• Members

you want a fat tuning:

*tune the resonant side of all yer drums as loose as you can get em (loosen all the lugs completely then tighten them all just with your fingers, then give em all a full turn with yer drum key)

*tune the batter side to what sounds good to you (suggestion: bass, floor and high toms medium kind on tightness and snare up real tight)

then play some "simple" beats hard

• Members

Should I try any certain kind of heads? The ones I have are really old, and I'm looking at getting some new ones.

Does anyone know a good recording technique for capturing that sound? Or should I just do the standard?

• Members

alot of the lips drums are done on 2 inch tape, big analog sound. He also uses HUGE sticks. Seriously, check the modern drummer on him. Its really nothing special studio wise... nice room, big sound, wide open heads, big sticks. The lips dont have a real "clean" drum sound... and its suprisingly low-tech.

• Members

Ok, I tuned the drums like you suggested, only a little looser - 1/4 to 1/2 turn with the key after tightening with my fingers. I left the toms and bass tuned pretty low and really cranked the snare. I'm liking the sound I'm getting, its not a replica but its got the same vibe. I've only got some smaller sticks, but it still sounds pretty cool.

what is meant by wide open heads? you mean loose on the resonant side like what was suggested before? sorry I'm not really a drummer.

Archived