Musician's Friend has me steaming!

CoolDrum3

• Members

Okay, so this is the second time they've messed up in as many weeks. My first order, their customer service told me that the tom model I was ordering was indeed the one i was looking for, a 14x16. The drum comes and it's a 8x10, which I already have. I shipped that one back, and order the 14x16 for certain. This is where I really start getting annoyed. The drum shipped 2 days later than the mount and bracket that I ordered at the same time, because it was out of stock...even though their web site said it was in stock when I ordered it. The package finally arrives today, and I open it up to find a damaged drum...the lacquer was scratched and there was ding that splintered the wood right on the front of the drum. The box had been opened and resealed, and the envelope on the outside that was supposed to hold the packing slip was cut open and the slip was missing! I call them and ask for an RMA, AGAIN! And tell them I want another drum shipped out. Then, they tell me they'll ship it in about a week when they get this one back! This is after I've already been waiting 3 weeks to get this friggin' drum! They then tell me the only way I can get it faster is if they charge my account AGAIN, and credit it back when they get this one. They still haven't credited my account from the last drum I FedEx'd back and that was a week ago! There was no way I was going to be into them for ANOTHER $200! This really has me fuming! All told it's probably going to be 5 weeks all told, before I get this damn drum...if the next one isn't damaged! I could have ordered from Pearl through Sam Ash, and gotten it in 4! If they didn't have the lowest prices, I wouldn't even order from Musician's Friend anymore. Maybe this should serve as a warning.

Sorry, had to get this off my chest...:mad:

• Members

As someone's signature line says:

"Friends don't let friends by from Musician's Friend"

Fragile Item + UPS = broken item.

I know someone that bought a guitar from Musician's Friend. They basically threw it in a box with no protection and shipped it. And of course UPS crushed the entire front of the guitar into the guts.

Don't order from them and ship fragile stuff via Fedex.

• Members

Originally posted by swdev

As someone's signature line says:

"Friends don't let friends by from Musician's Friend"

Fragile Item + UPS = broken item.

I know someone that bought a guitar from Musician's Friend. They basically threw it in a box with no protection and shipped it. And of course UPS crushed the entire front of the guitar into the guts.

Don't order from them and ship fragile stuff via Fedex.

They're having me RMA stuff via FedEx cause they probably still want to blem it! Their shipping comes from UPS (still not as bad as the postal service, but bad).

Funny thing was, the box was not beat up on the outside. I think the scratches and ding stemmed from the fact that somebody had assembled the ISS mount and shipped it back to them (like I said it had been opened and resealed). It was wrapped up in the packaging with the drum, instead of seperate like the other drum I had received. I think that's what cause the scratches, and they either didn't check it before they shipped it to me, or thought nothing of it when they did see it.

• Members

I have ordered from Musician's Enemy for a few smaller things )things like mic stands) but I would NEVER order a drum from them.

Here's why:

In September of 2000 I ordered a Mixingboard (a Behringer-the biggest one they make) and I waited over 6 weeks for it.....and I called (I called on November 8, 2000-I was supposed to receive it before the 5th, and I wanted to give them 3 days.) SO, I get a guy on the phone, and get transferred 3 times. They had already charged me for the mixer, and the last guy goes-"Oh, that won't be in until after FEBRUARY 1, 2001."

They didn't even have the common courtesy to call me and let me know. I was sitting on over $16,000 worth of recording equipment-with no board to hook it up. Jerks!

So, needless to say, I cancelled my order. I walked into the local music store and paid cash for a Mackie 1604Vlz Pro....not exactly what I wanted, but it got me up and running.

In the future I would suggets either Interstate Music, Drums in the Wind, or Waddells. I've bought tons of gear from all 3 of these shops and had no problems whatsoever with them.

Tim

• Members

I've gotten from Drums in the Wind and Waddell's before. I really like Waddell's, but they're in PA so I have to pay tax too on top of the little bit higher prices. A lot of people seem to like Midwest Percussion. Maybe I should check them out in the future.

• Members

Originally posted by Fafnir777

I walked into the local music store and paid cash for a Mackie 1604Vlz Pro....not exactly what I wanted, but it got me up and running.

On that note, how DOES that mixer perform? I was considering that one...not for really extremely important purposes but I do have taste/standards within the hobby level....I have used a mic with a really really cheap mixer, thought nothing of it, then used a big honkin chassis old audio technica, and was blown away by the improvement I could get just like that, so I wanted something that could still impress me....

• Members

Originally posted by Thexder

On that note, how DOES that mixer perform? I was considering that one...not for really extremely important purposes but I do have taste/standards within the hobby level....I have used a mic with a really really cheap mixer, thought nothing of it, then used a big honkin chassis old audio technica, and was blown away by the improvement I could get just like that, so I wanted something that could still impress me....

Well, I can say that I have no major complaints about it.

I'm not that fond of the EQ, but I'm really picky about tyhat anyway (I previously had an N.E.I. 12x4 board that had THE ultimate EQ section on it, so I was spoiled. It was fine for doing 8 track recording - because the 8-track that I had, a Fostex A8, only allowed you to record 4 tracks at a time-but played back all 8 at once (to save money, it only had 1 set of inputs and preamps that were activated by a switch).

The cool thing abopuit the Mackie, is that I put the mixer and all my outboardgear in a roadcase, and I built a patching panel that allows me to keep all of my outboard gear connected when I move the system. And with 4 8channel snakes, I can connect the pair of recorders.

I have my recorders (Tascam DA-38's) in another roadcase, and I can literally carry my entire studio to a band's bandroom or a club and record them live to 16 tracks in digital.

I rarely actually use the 4 busses, and probably would have been better off with the A&H 16x4 MixWiz (4 band EQ that kicks butt)

but so far, thatMackie has worked out great for me.

I still want to get a REAL board (i.e. a recording board...the N.E.I. spoiled me, because I got used to the sound of mic pre-amps with transformers inline (The Bass is thicker sounding) which the Mackie (not any other budget Mixers...it adds about $50 per channel to the cost of the mixer) doesn't have.

Tim

• Members

Well I have a story on Midwest Percussion as well.

Ordered a snare and case from them. Got the snare reasonably quickly.

However didn't get the case and wasn't on the packing slip. So I call them and they basically have no clue that I ordered the case, even though they charged my card already. They say they will ship one out..

Bottom line is it took 2 calls to get them to send me one, then about 2 days after I finally get it, I get another one, drop shipped from the manufacturer!

So call them up and asked them to have it shipped back. They say they will send me a UPS shipping label to put on the box and UPS would come by and get it. 4 weeks later and 3 phone calls they still had never sent the shipping label.

Finally on the last phone call they say they are going to charge my card for it if I don't send it back. I'm like WHAT!!!! I've been trying to send it back for over a month!

They finally got UPS to take it back, but I'm not very confident in ordering from them since they had no clue that I had even ordered the item let alone that another employee had the case drop shipped.

• Members

I have ordered stuff from Musician's Friend for many years now. When they were their own entity in Oregon, they were great and I had no problem ordering from them. After they merged with Guitar Center they really started to suck.

• Members

MF *FINALLY* credited my account last night for the wrong sized drum that I sent back over a week ago. BUT, they kept the $4.95 shipping charge! WTF is that? THEY SCREW UP AND STILL EXPECT ME TO PAY THE SHIPPING ON THE PRODUCT :mad:!?!?!? I could see having to pay the shipping if I messed up and ordered the wrong drum through my own fault, but I still have the e-mail in my Inbox from them, telling me to order that drum model because it was the size I wanted (note: the size and info wasn't stated on their website). I even have the name of the representative that answered it. If they wanna play hardball over $5 in shipping costs, I'm ready!!!

EDIT: Anyone think I should start a musician's who get screwed by MF web site? Lol...I think there's one for TigerDirect, the bane of the computer buyers everywhere.

Archived