Cymbal Advice

SteveE9C6

• Members

Folks,

I played drums as a teen but switched to pedal steel guitar a long time ago. I have recently become interested in drums again and have a Yamaha Stage Custom set. I bought a Sabian B8 cymbal pack with them. I have a nice home studio with a dedicated room for tracking. This is primarily Christian and country music oriented. I just got a DM5 on ebay and am getting some triggers for it. I don't care much for the sound of these cymbals on recording. It is not the mics or recorder as that is all good stuff.

If you were setting up a studio kit for this type of music, what would you suggest for cymbals?

Thank You and God Bless your day!

• Members

Depends on what price range you want as to what specific models... For recording though, I would stick to a fairly heavy weight ride for a nice ping sound that doesn't drone too long. Also, I would get a pair of crisp clean hats, maybe like 13" fusion hats. Next, two crashes, a 16 and 18, that are fairly thin - good attack and shorter decay. Maybe also a 10" splash. I've found I can get very nice recordings with this type of setup. Mic placement has a lot to do with recorded cymbal sounds too. I typically set up left and right aerials about 2-3 feet above the top of the highest cymbal. Some *light* gating and compression may be required as well.

Hope this helps you in your quest for better sound. These are just my opinions/experience on the subject, however.

• Members

I'm looking at the Paiste Signature Series. I know it may sound simplistic, but my favorite drummer is Russ Kunkel. I looked at the Paiste site and just copied down his cymbals. I have excellent mics and studio gear and have a good deal of experience in the studio. I have not been very happy with the sound of the accoustic set I have which is probably a result of a relatively inexpensive kit.

• Members

I find getting a good drum sound in the studio is a very personal thing. I'm very picky about my sound. When we recorded, I used to drive our fusion band director nuts because he'd set the gates and compressors up to what he thought sounded decent and I would go and change them :). When he set them up, the drums always sounded too processed to me. I remember he put them through an Alesis 3630 gate/compressor unit once...talk about ugh! I repatched them through a bank of Joe Meek VC6's and just used the gates on the Alesis. I've come to love the sound of Joe Meek compressors. I won't use anything else for my kit.

The best way to get your sound is to just keep trying new things. You should be able to get a good sound out of that kit. What kind of setup are you using (mics, gates, compressors, board)? In what way are you dissatisfied with the sound of the drums? Maybe I can help...

• Members

If I were setting it up, I would use Zildjian A or Sabian AA lines as that is the standard. The minimum you need to start is 14" hats, a 16" crash, and a 20" medium ride. A ping ride is fine, there are lots of choices.

Whether you want bright cymbals or dark cymbals depends on how reflective your room is.

The larger the kit, the harder it is to get a good recording, so its best to use as small a kit as possible. That includes the number of cymbals.

You probably have a steel snare with that kit, which is fine if that is the sound you want. But if it were me, I would also pick up a nice 5x14 brass or maple snare too.

But as a studio, you don't need to try to supply every type of cymbal and snare. Visiting drummers will probably bring their own cymbals and snares with them.

• Members

Thanks for all the replies guys...

I am using the following mics for the kit:

Kick AKG D112

Snare 2 SM57s (above and below)

Toms 57s

Highhat SM81

Overheads 2 MXL 603s

I have far too much stuff in the studio to list but you can check out the equipment at

Brazos Audio

The room is professionally treated and is not very reflective at all.

God Bless! Steve

• Members

Originally posted by CoolDrum3

I find getting a good drum sound in the studio is a very personal thing. I'm very picky about my sound. When we recorded, I used to drive our fusion band director nuts because he'd set the gates and compressors up to what he thought sounded decent and I would go and change them
:)
. When he set them up, the drums always sounded too processed to me. I remember he put them through an Alesis 3630 gate/compressor unit once...talk about ugh! I repatched them through a bank of Joe Meek VC6's and just used the gates on the Alesis. I've come to love the sound of Joe Meek compressors. I won't use anything else for my kit.

The best way to get your sound is to just keep trying new things. You should be able to get a good sound out of that kit. What kind of setup are you using (mics, gates, compressors, board)? In what way are you dissatisfied with the sound of the drums? Maybe I can help...

try one of these next time http://www.mercenary.com/dismodel8.html

;)

• Members

Thanks guys....

I ordered Zildjian 14" Mastersound A High Hats, 20 inch A Medium Ride, and a 16" A Crash today. I also ordered all new Evans hydraulic heads from MF. They had a prepak of retro hydraulic heads with a dry batter snare. I also got the blue BD22.

I'm working on relearning my rudiments. At age 51, it is not the easiest thing in the world! Even though I am a relatively accomplished musician on keys, guitar, bass, and pedal steel, I really regret letting my skills lapse so badly. I guess there is a lesson in there somewhere;)

Archived