Suggestions needed for gig bags

rumblebelly

• Members

Originally posted by Old Steve

Wow, I throw out a crazy dollar figure, go away for the weekend, and BAM!...it's like setting a forest fire by tossing a cigarette butt out the window.

Sorry for the insanity.

Admittedly, $1500 was a non-researched, completely random number....although if you went the ATA route you could get to that number pretty quickly.

WHAT I SHOULD HAVE SAID was something more like this: "It doesn't make much sense to spend $500 in cases for a $300 kit." or "It doesn't make sense to spend close to the same amount or more on cases than on your kit."

BTW, Rumble, I'll sell you my used bags if you want 'em....I'll even ship 'em right to your door....for $1500 of course.
:D

HAHA. I've gotta think about that!

I think I'm gonna buy those Nomad fiber cases this week. Fiber cases seem a little bit easier to deal with. I'm too awkward for soft cases, I always had a hell of a time pulling out a tom from my friend's bags and even a worse time getting them back in.

• Members

I'm sure they'll work great for you. One other thing to do (no matter what you get) make a stencil with your name on it and then buy a can of spraypaint and stencil your name on the cases. It'll cost you about $1.99 and will guarantee another drummer doesn't "accidentally" mistake your stuff for his own.

• Members

Originally posted by joestanman

luggage tags work great too... you can get ones that lock on.

Yeah, but spraypaint is soooo much more "rock and roll". :D Plus it's easier to spot from a distance as potential theives try to make a shady exit out the back door with your stuff.

• Members

Yeah, but spraypaint is soooo much more "rock and roll".
Plus it's easier to spot from a distance as potential theives try to make a shady exit out the back door with your stuff.

Cool... well im always re-ebaying stuff and not that many people care what band im in, and it certianly isnt a "selling" point.

• Members

Yeah, but spraypaint is soooo much more "rock and roll".
Plus it's easier to spot from a distance as potential theives try to make a shady exit out the back door with your stuff.

You'd wanna go blood if you were in a death metal band, semen if you are in some alternative emo band, cow{censored} if you are in a country band, and spit if you are in a punk band. No all readily visible but I'm sure you can see them all under a black light.

• Members

Originally posted by rumblebelly

You'd wanna go blood if you were in a death metal band, semen if you are in some alternative emo band, cow{censored} if you are in a country band, and spit if you are in a punk band. No all readily visible but I'm sure you can see them all under a black light.

Ok, now I'm creeped out. You made me think of all of those TV news shows that take blacklights into hotel rooms....let's just say there's lots of DNA floating around your typical hotel room. I think camping might actually be cleaner in some cases.

The good thing about cases is that even if you get a new kit eventually, you can always reuse the cases. I've never sold a case...I've worn a few out, but I've never sold one used.

• Members

Originally posted by rumblebelly

HAHA. I've gotta think about that!

I think I'm gonna buy those Nomad fiber cases this week. Fiber cases seem a little bit easier to deal with. I'm too awkward for soft cases, I always had a hell of a time pulling out a tom from my friend's bags and even a worse time getting them back in.

I bought those exact cases from Nomad over a year ago. They hold together pretty well, and protect the drum from any sorta of scratching or "punching". I bought a new snare a while ago, and it came with its own tuxedo bag, and I noticed that the fibre cases are actually easier to pack in my car, purely because there's no interior padding and the shape of the case is very rigid (the padding makes the bag quite bigger than the drum, whereas the fibre cases are only big enough to fit the drum. Every single case has held up well except for my bass drum case, where the T-rods have put a hole in one section of the case...grab some duc tape and everything's peachy. The only thing I do not like about the nomad cases: You have to strap each case "manually". But for the price you are paying, and the quality you receive, i'm willing to deal with that.

Hope they work for you.

Archived