Ever made your own drums?

dj_spoon

• Members

What kind of finish are you using?

I built my kit in 1997. At the time, I had a place to do the work, and leave the shells when I finished them, so it was pretty cool.

Man, when they are done, you'll freak out, because the keller shells are AWESOME. I had a Yamaha Recording custom, and the kit I built blows that kit away big time. Prior to building this set, I would have never thought that anything sounded as good as the recording customs....those were my babies, and once I got this kit, I sold the Yamaha's almost instantly.

Take your time, and pay attention to detail, because once you are done with them, and finally get them set up - you will be amazed.

Andy Foote is a great guy, and he went above and beyond the call of duty for me.

Tim

• Members

Thanks for the tips. And it's sort of a semi-dark shade of blue dye. Enough for plenty of the grain to show through. I'll throw plenty of coats of laquer on top of that.

The hardest part right now is finding time to work on it, and the fact that it's starting to get cold outside doesn't help matters much either. I'm playing a Rockstar Custom right now, so I'm assuming (and hoping) that these baby's will grind the rockstars into the ground.

Anyway, when I get it finished, hopefully fairly soon, I'll post some pics. But in the mean time, let's see some of yours!

• Members

I put together a 20x16 kick, 16x16 and 12x9 toms from Keller shells ... I tried finishing the floor tom with clear poly, found that it wasn't my business to do such a thing, and sent them to a friend who works in an auto paint shop, where he applied clear lacquer to them. Nice to have a friend such as this!

Right now, I'm working on an acrylic kit and a fiberglass snare ... already finished, so all I have to do is drill holes and attach hardware.

• Members

I've been thinking about doing this for a while. I want to build a jazz kit, seperate from my Pearl. I'm probably just going to do a 3 piece, though I may build a 13x3.5 matching snare if the mood strikes me - 20x16, 14x12, 16x14. Gonna go with a hand rubbed Minwax satin finish in either a dark cherry or maroon...black lugs, black cast rims, and stainless steel lug bolts. I hate polishing! Not sure yet if I want to do split lugs or those modern tubular lugs they have over there at drummaker.com. The really small "minimalist" lugs would probably look pretty cool too.

Archived