beginner drum question - those electronic drum kits?

FearMeWithMyLP

• Members

hey doodz! I have wanted to play the drums since 7th grade now (i'm a sophomore in college now) and finally decided I need to do it. The only problem is that I have lived in apartments all my life (and probably always will.) I can't really play too loud on a real drumset (as much as I want to) so I think maybe one of those electronic drumsets would suit me. Sounds like a good idea at least!

Are these drumsets any good? Is there a cheap one I can get (when I mean cheap, I imagine these things not being cheap at all. I mean where can I find the cheapest one?)

Thanks!

• Members

Well, I can relate... I spent most of my teen years living in a nice house, with a nice shed out back that I could play my drums in all the time... Then, when i was 16 we moved to a apartment... only thing that kept me alive was the fact I could play at school all day.

You've got about two good options.....

1. Get a practice kit, like the Pearl Travler kit... Comes with mesh heads... PROS.... Feels and reacts like a REAL KIT... Set up like a REAL kit... just muted! You could also get a really cheap kit used, and put mesh heads on it.. Then if you ever want it to be normal, you just gotta put real heads on.....

2. Get a cheaper Electronic kit.... Like the Yamaha DTX kits...

PROS... Lots of cool features, fun to mess with etc...

CONS... Not an authentic drum feel, not setup like a real kit, etc.... This isn't good.. if you LEARN on this kit, then go to play a real one... you'll be out of your elimate....

PRICE>>> You could probably get a decent starter kit, and mesh heads for less than 500.00 bucks..... Those Yamaha kits are new for around 999.00 ... Used, probably around 500.00

Hope this helps......... Jason

• Members

wow thanks drummer_jay!

I didn't know they had mesh heads... how do they sound? Is it like those practice pad sounds? What about cymbols??

I was looking in another thread and saw this http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEART705C31

Could you (or anyone else) describe this muted sound? Will it sound decent at least? or is it like a completely muffled mute? Also, are the bass drums and cymbols have something to mute them with (sorry if this sounds like gibberish to any of you. I'm trying.)

Also, how long does it take to switch between the real and muted heads?

• Members

omg i'm a complete klutz. I completely forgot what mesh was. Mesh as in cloth? So basically, you are hitting a cloth head? is that is? How does that work with the cymbols? Wouldn't that make noise? Or is it like a super thick mesh? If it is what I imagine it to be, there would be NO sound, which would kind of take the fun out of drumming (why couldn't I live in a house?)

Ugh. I'm all confused. Help me out someone.

• Members

I can't really explain what they sound like!! It's kinda sounds like hitting paper.. just not as loud! It feels like a real head, and you can hear it fine... but your neighbors won't! It would take an hour or so to change heads.... tuning them properly would take longer....... if you like the idea of changing heads to real ones, then look at a older used kit... If you were to put real heads on the the Pearl kit you're interested in, it would sounds like poo!!

The Mesh heads are just that... tightly woven mesh with tiny holes it in! Hard to break, and little to no sound... If you have real cymbals, you can put on practice pads which mute them completly...

• Members

There about a dozen different brands of mesh heads that can be bought too. Many different feels and sound levels. In general, they are very quiet (as quiet or more quiet than a typical rubber practice pad). The sound is similar to playing on a bean bag (if you can imagine that). But by tuning the heads tighter or lower on various drums, you can still get variations of the pitch of that faint "bean bag" sound.

Hope that helps.

Archived