Tama Rockstar Custom

kmmurdog

• Members

Congrats to me on getting my first new set of drums. Everything before this was used crap.

My question...Should I even bother setting this thing up with the Tama heads or go ahead and order something nice? Are the Tama heads decent for resonants?

What heads would you recommend? I've already got my mind made up on the bass heads, but the Toms are a different story. I don't want too much ring. Will the evans hydros sound like cardboard?

I probably just need to experiment, but I was hoping that one of you who has already been down this path could shed some light.

Thanks.

• Members

Nice choice. I have a RC too - 6 piece, custom charcoal finish. What finish did you get? As for heads, I can't stand Hydraulics, but that's just my opinion. I would recommend trying any of the following: Aquarian Response 2s or Performance IIs, Evans G2s or Remo Pinstripes or Emperors. All of those are two ply heads that should help cut the ringing. I have coated Response 2s on my toms and I really like them (and a Super Kick II on the kick and Hi Energy on the snare). Happy head hunting.

• Members

custom blue, 5 piece.

Thanks for the head suggestions.

How much play do you have between the starcast mount and the drum. I imagine there should be some play, but it seels like the startcast mount is coming into contact with the center rim mount which could lead to some vibration noise. Is this normal?

• Members

Originally posted by kmmurdog

How much play do you have between the starcast mount and the drum. I imagine there should be some play, but it seels like the startcast mount is coming into contact with the center rim mount which could lead to some vibration noise. Is this normal?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. The mount is contacting the shell? Or the hoop? Or the mounting hardware (tom holder)?

The only things the Starcast mount should be contacting are the hoop grips. And the mount's threaded bolts are insulated from the metal of the hoop grips with rubber nuts.

• Members

i just got the toms mounted and all is well. What a sweet looking kit.

I also ordered a set of Aquarian Performance II's. Hopefully I'll like em. The "big, fat, low tom tom sound" description scares me, since that isn't really want I want from my fusion toms, but I like the built in muffling.

What are your opinions on the superkick vs the EMAD system? I have an EMAD on my old kit and the plastic ring that holds the foam is peeling off. Nothing a little glue won't fix. I have never used a superkick and I was just curious. I use a regulator on the resonant side and I like that.

• Members

The Performance IIs are great, in my opinion. It's kinda like pinstripes I guess, but I like the sound I got out of them better. I'm looking forward to trying out more heads but it's a little expensive as I'm sure you know.

I think the Tama stock heads would be fine as resonants... I used 'em until I bought Ambassadors (to answer your original question).

I've never used the EMAD but I have SuperKick IIs on my bass drums and I think they're awesome - no further muffling required and a hell of a thud.

By the way, I too have Rockstar Customs. Great choice if I may say so. Mine are in gloss black but I love the custom green!

Wade

:eek:

• Members

I Have normal rockstars (didnt feel like paying extra money for laq. finish and a wood snare) when I have one and wraps are just as good IMO, but I use Coated G2's and Ambassador resos and get a very nice warm sound, tune both sides just about equal in pitch, and my bass.. wow, go for superkick2 head with regulator reso, thud BOOM. I got my kit in misty chrome, very sharp looking, and I love how the color somewhat changes with what it's by, lol.

Archived