When are muffle rings.. Ok?

Invertalon

• Members

I know alot of people say let your toms ring and whanot, but I have trouble too ;)

I mean, when I tune, my toms sound good, with lighter hits, but once i start hitting harder they sound to sound.. a little.. odd..

Its probley the room im in.. its very small... I think 13x9 or so.. Its not big at all, has alot of stuff in it, and I dont think its good for acoustics.

For that reason, I usually use RemO's when I play.. I mean, they still keep there ring, just not as much, and it sounds better.. In the room im in anyway.. But why is it so bad to use them? I hear so many people complain, but I actually dont think the sound is bad or that it can sound bad, unless the drum its on isnt tuned well.. but thats my opinion. But I can see if I was in a good room or something that they would kill the sound a little too much, but what are your opinions?

I think that when I start hitting harder the sound echo's more and creates that unclear tone.. But if i hit it lighter i get clear tone.. any explanations or am I right about the acoustics?

Sorry for all the questions, but im just curious really? thanks.

• Members

It's fine to use them to tone down the ring a bit.... My toms sound great without them, but when I play live very ringy toms can cause feedback problems........ In the studio, ring is ok... they can take care of that with gateing and what not......

It's all about personal taste!

• Members

Well, I'm a purist and I don't use any muffling...even in the kick. I want my drums as loud and full as possible.

Personal taste is important but when I see guys go onstage with those rings or duct tape or maxi pads on their drums, their drums sound like cardboard boxes...expecially in unmiced situations. Don't forget drums were meant heard by the crowd as well...your drums will sound waaaaay different 20 feet away. Also, don't forget the other instruments...those overtones are what make your drums have life when you have a bunch of other noise in the mix.

However if you have problems tuning or your heads or bearing edges are bad, then you might wanna cut the ring with something.

• Members

Ahh, no my tuning is fine.. they sound good, just when hit harder, they echo in the room and create weird overtones.. But today i recorded my drumming using a mic taped to the ceiling pointing at me, and the drums sounded really good without the rings on them. My bearing edges are fine, Its about a month old 2003 tama rockstar.. bearing edges are in great condition.

room acoustics make me angry sometimes ;)

• Members

I suppose you could build a new room...engineered to be acousitcally perfect for your kit...then again, those rings only cost a couple of bucks...I'll let you decide.

I'm more of a "no muffle" guy like Rumblebelly, but if you like the sound with the rings, go ahead and use them. You might find, however, that after a while, you'll grow accustomed to how your drums sound without them and it won't sound as "odd" to you.

Another couple things: muffle/un-muffle as much as you want, but always try to get an idea of what your drums sound like from the audience. It's amazing how really open sounding drums are effectively muffled by loud guitars and such.

Finally, if the drums sound good at low volume, but worse at higher volume, be sure to tune to your 'real world' playing conditions. It doesn't make much sense for a basher to dail in his drum sound by tapping gently on the drum, just as it doesn't make sense for a quiet drummer to tune at super high volume. Tune according to how you'll REALLY be hitting the drums (although it's easier to tap quietly when you're getting the heads in tune with themselves).

• Members

Originally posted by Invertalon

Ahh, no my tuning is fine.. they sound good, just when hit harder, they echo in the room and create weird overtones.. But today i recorded my drumming using a mic taped to the ceiling pointing at me, and the drums sounded really good without the rings on them. My bearing edges are fine, Its about a month old 2003 tama rockstar.. bearing edges are in great condition.

room acoustics make me angry sometimes
;)

I play in an itsy bitsy room too. However, I have a bunch of soundboard up on all the walls which helps absorb a lot soundwaves that otherwise would be bouncing around. Try doing something similar to that, like hanging up foam or blankets on your walls. It'll make your drums sound more tame.

• Members

Remember, the kit sounds different out in from than sitting behind it. Get someone to play your kit a little. Stand out in front from all locations in the room. Front, back, sides. You'll get a much better feel for what the kit sounds like. THEN determine if you have have too much ring.

If you have room problems, then that's not a ringing problem. Muffling won't help that except to quiet the drums.

• Members

I've had some rings laying around the house for years now and with my drummers old Tama and my new Yamaha, I've tried them on and off. In the end, I find myself cutting the ring more and more until it's practically just a sliver. At that point, I said F-it and just worked on tuning more and more until the drums resonated nicely at mid-dynamic levels.

• Members

The key phrase there is "Properly tuned drum".

Most people can't tune worth crap, so they just muffle the poo out of their drums.

For the first couple years of playing, I used Evans E-rings (same thing as RemO's). But then I discoverd 2 ply heads and how to tune a drum. Out went the rings.

• Members

I use RemO's.....just one(1-2/2") on my snare only......my kick is an in-factory slightly muffled Aquarian Superkickll batter head..................and on my 2 toms i only "muffle" with one moongel on each I also mic all my drums.I've found onstage this gives a good solid "punch" to my kit.(1989 Tama Rockstar DX).

I'd say do what is best for you an dfor the band as far as sound from your kit is concerned.

• Members

Originally posted by JSimms

Answer: Never.

A properly tuned drum should never require muffling of any sort.

That's not entirely correct. There are no absolutes. It would depend on what sound you want. If you want an open ringing sound, then yes. But sometimes, especially when playing a smaller venue, you don't want as open of a sound. Of course, you are probably getting the muffling you need from your head selection instead of rings.

But you are correct. There is no substitute for proper tuning.

• Members

Originally posted by moyerbros

That's not entirely correct. There are no absolutes. It would depend on what sound you want. If you want an open ringing sound, then yes. But sometimes, especially when playing a smaller venue, you don't want as open of a sound. Of course, you are probably getting the muffling you need from your head selection instead of rings.

But you are correct. There is no substitute for proper tuning.

You realize that by saying that, "there are no absolutes," you are making an absolute statement and therefore contradicting yourself. ;) You should have said: Save this one, there are no absolutes.

• Members

You should have said: Save this one, there are no absolutes.

This may not work either. "Save this one," could be interpreted as pertaining to previous sentence, in which your sentence would portray the following:

Save the use of muffle rings, there are no absolutes.

• Members

Hahaha, I can't tune my drums. I'm a bassplayer, I started playing drums and I just can't grasp it... not yet anyways. I dunno WTF my problem is. I just can't hear WTF I am supposed to be listening for, so.... I muffle the crap out of em!!! Hahaha, I'm working on tuning, just haven't got there yet. I don't think my toms sound horrible for the music I play...

http://hatredalive.com/StillISmileC.mp3

It's live and outdoors even, and I was too busy playing drums to tweak the sound any.

• Members

Originally posted by Mofishes

This may not work either. "Save this one," could be interpreted as pertaining to previous sentence, in which your sentence would portray the following:

Save the use of muffle rings, there are no absolutes.

:rolleyes:

Only a blind chimpanzee would interpret that sentence incorrectly.

• Members

Originally posted by Mofishes

Is that an absolute?

I'm not a blind chimp and I did interpret your sentence "incorrectly". Your logic is flawed!!!

:D

I never agreed that there are no absolutes. I was simply refuting the statement: There are no absolutes.

C'mon. You really misinterpreted what I said?? Huhhh?? I don't think so. :p

• Members

See if you can get your hands on a product called Moon Gel, gives a little bit more control over the rings.

When I first started playing I was after a very muffled sound, but after a while I realized I was killing the natural tone of the drums so I have since gone away from it. Now I only use a little bit of moon gel on the snare, and even then sometimes I take it off.

• Members

Originally posted by vanlatte

See if you can get your hands on a product called Moon Gel, gives a little bit more control over the rings.

When I first started playing I was after a very muffled sound, but after a while I realized I was killing the natural tone of the drums so I have since gone away from it. Now I only use a little bit of moon gel on the snare, and even then sometimes I take it off.

Moongel works very well. I like the fact that you can reposition it so easily for varying effects.

• Members

I never agreed that there are no absolutes. I was simply refuting the statement: There are no absolutes.

C'mon. You really misinterpreted what I said?? Huhhh?? I don't think so.
:p

I understood. Just foolin' amigo.

:)

Archived