What drum set?

HurleyGuitarist9

• Members

I just moved and i'm looking to play more drums out here, seeing as EVERYONE plays guitar. I have a Pulse Percussion 5 piece set now, that I have put new heads on, and made sound half decent. I played this set a couple times gigging with my funk/jazz/rock band. I'm in the market for a new set. I had a couple in mind, but i'm open to suggestions! If you guys have any info or personal stories about the sets listed please feel free to share!

The PDP CX 5 piece

Tama Rockstar

Pearl Export

Peace Percussion Onyx

I play pop punk music now. My influences are Travis Barker, Cyrus Balooki, Josh Freese and any other drummers who play that genre. I also LOVE Chad Smith. His sound and playing is killer! Thanks guys!

• Members

I know the export and rockstar.... both good kits and priced similarly.... the rockstar is more resonant and bodied than the export (from what I remember about playing them). You won't go wrong with the rockstar, but the export might be better if you want a more controlled, punchy sound, which can be better for live performances.

• Members

I'd get the Pacific CX without question. It's a maple kit for crying out loud and doesn't cost much more than the Rockstar or the Export. The Rockstars and Exports are considered student level kits but you could safely put the Pacific in the intermediate to pro level category. You'll be happier with the 10,12,14 tom sizes too. It's way easier to tune. You'll quickly outgrow the 12,13,16 sizes on the Rockstars and Exports once you start getting serious about tuning your drumset.

I used to play a friend's Rockstar when we practiced but I didn't think it was anything special. Solid and well built but that's about it...it's your typical student level power tom kit. I own a Ludwig Rocker which is about the same thing. I absolutely hated tuning those kits. I got a Pacific FS recently and it sounds far superior, even with a half-assed tuning. My Ludwig Rocker sits there and collects dust...I have no urge to play it whatsoever.

Archived