Drumhead help

Rimshot500

• Members

I have a Yamaha Stage Custom but it has factory heads on it. I am in a blues/rock band and am looking for tom batter and resonant head suggestions. I like a bright, fairly resonant sound from my toms. It is my understanding that it is essential to change the resonant heads when changing the batter. Is this correct? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

:confused:

• Members

I don't think you absolutely need to swap out the res heads everytime you swap the batters. That would get pricey. Maybe just buy the batter heads, and give the kit a full tune-up. If you're having trouble getting a nice even and open sound then consider picking up some new res heads.

As far as brighter heads, my engineer suggests that Evans heads are typically brighter than other brands, but that's a quite a blanket statement and I have not had the time or money to establish an opinion on that. At the very least, I would think single ply heads would be more up your alley. However, if you're a hard hitter, you may go through them quicker, so if you are, double-plys may be a more wise investment.

Right now, I'm using Aquarian Response 2's on top and Classic Clears on the bottom and it's a little too dark for my tastes.

• Members

I like coated 1 ply heads (remo ambassador, evans g1) or clear 2 ply heads (remo emporer, evans g2) on the batter side. On the reso side clear 1 plies sound good. Sorry but I'm not familiar enough with aquarian to offer suggestions.

Those are very common, middle of the road combinations. I'd suggest starting with those.

Archived