Snare head: evans vs. remo

Lockjaw

• Members

It's a "personal taste" issue really.

I for one like the sound and playing feel of a Remo Coated Ambassador on a snare. Thin enough to get some ring and be plenty responsive to soft strokes and brushes, but thick enough that I don't even think twice about putting stick through it when I get a little nuts.

Coated vs clear - coated will have a slightly "warmer" sound to it, and slightly less stick definition to the stroke. Clear - cleaner stick definition, and no reduction in tone from the coating (which I think is very minimal anyways).

• Members

i don't really like the Evans Dry. Its too dry for my tastes. A little overtone gives a snare's sound lots of texture, plus with the Evans dry you have less tuning range than with any other kind of head that I've tried. I think you'll be happier with the Evans Reverse power dot. It's more versatile than the dry, its coated so you lose any excess overtones, and it is durable.

I'm pretty mixed on the remo and evans. I like evans heads for my toms and bass drum, but i think remo makes a better head for the snare, except evans heads are much more durable. plus, when I have evans on all my heads, the obsessive compulsive part of me must have a matching evans snare head for uniformity....:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by JSimms

Every Evans head that I have played seems to be a bit deader than its Remo counterpart. I usually use a powerstroke 3 on my snare, and I have always felt that it had the best sound. Just my opinion though.

I too like the Powerstroke 3. Just a more controlled amassador. You can tune it up high and tight and not have too many overtones and ping flying everywhere.

• Members

Well like the other posters said.......... its all personal taste for me?.......wha ti think soundds best on my snare(I play a 1969 Ludwig supra) is Remo pinstripes. top and bottom i found i get a sweet "crack-sound" from the combination of this ggreat snare and the heads. some may differ but it works for me....

• Members

Remo vs. Evans is like asking if people like Coke vs. Pepsi.

The 'standard' by which I judge all other snare heads is the remo coated ambassador.

BTW, I was a huge Coke (not pepsi) drinker most of my life. Now I've switched to diet and prefer Diet Pepsi over Diet Coke.

Call me conflicted.

Archived