Electronic Triggers....

drummin_dude

• Members

You've got it.

That's all a V-drum is.

You can buy some 3/4" Extruded Aluminum "U" Channel (it's a piece of metal that's a couple of feet long, and is shaped like like this ]; they usually have this in D.I.Y. stores.

Then you can get a pair of "L" brackets that are 1/2" wide, and cut the U Channel about 1" shorter than the diameter of your drum.

Drill holes in the L brackets so that you can mount them to a pair of lugs on the drum, and suspend the U channel between them.

Then mount the trigger to the U channel, and glue/place a Roland Foam "Cone" (it's a piece of Cone shaped foam rubber that is in the Roland V-drums) on the trigger.

The Foam rests against the mesh drumhead, and when you hit the head, it transfers the enrgy to the trigger, and you have just built a V-drum pad out of your regular drums.

Tim

• Members

Originally posted by Dark Slide

http://www.derksens.com/Beatnik_mirror.htm

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

I am so glad you posted that. I saved it a long time ago, but I don't remember where I saved the link! (I've got like a million folders in my Favorites....my brother saves every link he goes to on this PC- Idiot! - and I spend half my time cleaning them out.:D)

Tim

• Members

You didn't specify which drum module you're using...

I do know the 1.5 firmware revision of the ddrum 4 has support for using triggers on mesh heads. They worked before, just not nearly as well they do now. This is also using the side/hoop mounted triggers, and not the center/underhead type that Tim (Fafnir) was describing.

As far as wether or not the Roland, Yamaha, or Alesis will work, and how well, that I don't know.

• Members

Thanx very much all the help. The one other I meant to ask was what kinda price range are these things? The reason whay I am making my own is to obviously save money. As well, how much of a difference is there between the advanced and the basic trigger set-up on the web-site?

As of now I don't have a drumbrain, but I plain to buy one once I have all the stuff working.

Thanks, Mike

• Members

Originally posted by drummin_dude

As of now I don't have a drumbrain, but I plain to buy one once I have all the stuff working.

Thanks, Mike

which drum brains were you looking at? i'm currently looking to buy an electronic kit and i'm pretty much decided on the Yamaha, with the DTXPress II brain.

can any electronic kit / trigger system owners share the ups and downs of the various kits?

• Members

As for the module you should buy, if I were you, I would forget the DTExpress and go with the Alesis DM5, here's a link of it at Musiciansfriend:

HERE . It's about 350 dollars, and has relatively high ratings. I plan on buying it myself within the next couple of weeks actually. On the trigger side, I was debating over triggering my mesh heads, or making my own triggered pads as described on ElectronicDrums.com. You can make each pad for about 25 bucks, out of those Remo practice pads. Either way, whichever one I chose to do, i would still have a cymbal problem. This is when I ran into the Hart Dynamics Prodigy eletronic kit for 400 bucks here. Or if you wants, you can just do like me, and buy the Hart kit, with the Alesis DM5 module together, for only 700 dollars! You can look at it on MusiciansFriend here. And I've heard that this combination is better than a lot of other kits higher in the price range, like that 1000 dollar Yamaha etc. By the way, I've done alot of research the past 2 weeks trying to find the best electronic kit I can get, and this is what I came up with. Those heads are mesh by the way too, not that stupid hard plastic crap pads.. The cymbals(2) actually look similar to the V cymbals, it has mesh heads like the V-kits, and it comes with a hihat pedal that plugs into the module as well, and it only costs 700 bucks! and from what I've read, it seems to be an excellent deal, and it's not a piece of {censored} that will break in a week!

Hart Prodigy Kit Without Module - $400

Alesis DM5 Module - $350

Hart Prodigy kit with DM5 Module - $700

• Members

How much is all this stuff going to cost me? I found this one sale..is it a good deal?

Roland td-7 brain

cables, triggers and everything in between for 5 drums and 3 cymbals

$320 US plus shipping

Good deal?

Is the td-7 even a good brain to be looking at?

Thanks, Mike

Archived