Ska playing tips needed urgently

vallely

• Members

If you've read my recent thread in OJ you'd know I am filling in for my friend's Ska band in 2 weeks, I've never been much of a ska player but I basically know that my friend's drummer is a hell of alot better than me in areas such as hi-hat patterns and some fills, I more of a metal drummer really. So any tips i can pick up quickyl to help me play ska songs.

BTW the songs I will be playing are originals and a couple of covers but the cpvers are conversions of popular pop songs like "Walking on Sunshine" and "Sk8r Boi" :D

• Members

The traditional ska style is focused on the 2 and 4, basically the opposite of an old R&B beat.

hats on the "ands" (1&2&3&4&)

kick and cross stick on 2 and 4

lots of flourishes on the hats, add some off-time cross sticking, and remember to swing like a mother and you should be there.

For some examples of the best ska on the planet right now, go to The Slackers website, on the Media page download "Keep Him Away" (technically skinhead reggae, but a good slow tempo ska beat) and "Sarah" for a track with real serious ska swing.

It's an absolute blast to play, but despite how simple it seems at first, it takes some practice to get the real feel of it, and really swing the right way. Have fun!

• Members

Originally posted by HuskerDude

The traditional ska style is focused on the 2 and 4, basically the opposite of an old R&B beat.

lots of flourishes on the hats, add some off-time cross sticking, and remember to
swing
like a mother and you should be there.

For some examples of the best ska on the planet right now, go to
The Slackers
website, on the Media page download "Keep Him Away" (technically skinhead reggae, but a good slow tempo ska beat) and "Sarah" for a track with real serious ska swing.

It's an absolute blast to play, but despite how simple it seems at first, it takes some practice to get the real feel of it, and really swing the right way. Have fun!

cheers man, I'm a big Reel big Fish fan so I'm trying to get inspiration off their ex-drummer (they recently changed drummers again!) who just had the most amazing hi-hat technique ever, with one {censored}ing hand! :cool: But I'm not quite his standard!

• Members

Originally posted by HuskerDude

lots of flourishes on the hats, add some off-time cross sticking, and remember to
swing
like a mother and you should be there.

What do you mean by "cross sticking"? Also, is the snare usually on 1 and 3?

• Members

Originally posted by rumblebelly

What do you mean by "cross sticking"? Also, is the snare usually on 1 and 3?

Cross sticking (Im sure theres a real term for this :)) is laying the stick across the drum, and clicking it against the rim.

And there usually is no snare, except on fills, the bass drum and stick provide the rhythm, and snare comes in for timbale-esque fills.

Check out those mp3s in case this explanation sucks. :D

Archived