marching snare

dave17oh

• Members

is it possible to convert a marching snare into a useable snare drum on a drum kit. I'm guessing with regular drum heads rather than the kevlar heads on a marching snare, you could get a better sound. but what about the snares and everything. what would you have to change to get a normal sound out of it?

• Members

Dave, Having spent many years doing both drumline and drumset.... I will tell you from my experience... it is difficult at BEST to make a marching snare sound work as a primary snare drum for a kit.... The depth of the shell, (I presume it is 12") makes it difficult to tune a standard head without it sustaining like a beast. If you tune it too high the collar will surely pull. Todays marching snres are really made to be used exclusively with falam Heads. While that works for projection purposes on the field it may not be the sound you want driving a band...although not dismissing it from inclusion into your drum kit as a color palate... it may wear on your ears as your primary snare...

The othe issue is finding a snare stand that will go low enough to accommodate that deep of a drum and still make it comfortable to play....

• Members

I've done this with one older marching drum, probably 50's era, long-stripped of finish and brand. I cut it to 9" deep, a number I came up with through the following facts: The drum was set up with loooong tenson screws, and that was the deepest I could go where it would fit comfortably on the stand. I cut shell material from the top and bottom so I didn't have to redrill the shell to adjust the hardware, another advantage of those long tension screws.

It sounded OK, but the old standard wood Slingerland snare I had sounded better. Not worth the work. The gut snares were too dry, and tuning it lower created obnoxious buzz and a really flappy sound. Tuning it higher sounded better, but not by much.

I had a newer Premier marching snare with a super-thick shell. I wanted to cut that sucker up so badly, but after the first fiasco I opted to sell it to someone else who didn't have a fascination with band saws and routers...

• Members

I used a 10"x14" Premier snare for a main snare for about 2 years, but there were only 2 options with it:

1. Crank it down like a martching snare, which was too high for a rock/metal band.

2. Tune it down really low, and get that Def Leppard heavily processed "Boooshhhh" snare sound.

I got rid of it after a while.

Tim

Archived