buying second hand kits

every-day-game

• Members

I can't give you a complete check list, but here's a few tips:

1) Bearing edges: They should be smooth and even - if they are dented, gouged, cut or otherwise damaged, the drums won't tune up well.

2) Hardware/hoops/lugs: Make sure they're not rusted. Light pitting can be fixed with steel wool, but anything with major rusting may have to be replaced.

3) Finish: Look for scratches, gouges, cracks, fading or any other damage. It won't affect the sound of the drums, but it will affect their worth.

4) Cymbals: Look for cracks and scratches all over the surface of the cymbal, bell to edge. And look for keyholing at the hole. Don't worry about fingerprints, stick marks and general grime - they can be cleaned off - but green, crusty oxidation may not come off.

• Members

With drums, it's largely a mechanical process....does everything that's supposed to turn or move, turn and move like it's supposed to (tuning rods, hardware, stands, pedals, etc.).

Check bearing edges. Make sure the drums are actually round...sometimes (kicks especially) will go out of round and become impossible to tune. Also check along the bearing edges to make sure that the plies haven't begun to delaminate...

Cymbals...ANY cracks (no matter how tiny) render a cymbal valueless, IMHO. They'll only get bigger over time. Same with keyholing. You can't fix a broken cymbal, so check them over closely. Run your finger around the edges because your fingers will pick up any burrs or little cracks better than your eyes.

• Members

i just picked up a used Premier Xpk set , and i love it . Some things i checked for was rust on the hardware, Any visible damage (obviously) and i made sure they tuned up well and that all the lugs and hardware worked properly. I think that pretty much covers it...goodluck!

nick-

• Members

I cannot stress enough the importance of playing the drums also. Are the shells buzzing? If they buzz, pass unless you know how to repair them. With some drum shells that is the only way you can tell for sure if the plies are ok. Especially, the bond between shells and reinforcing rings. The bearing edges on toy drums today look better than the edges on my 1960's drums when they came from the factory. But looks ain't everything.

If you know an experienced drummer, ask him or her to take a look at any drums you are thinking of buying for you. It is pretty hard for the average person to tell anything by looking at a kit that they have never seen before. Not to mention be able to tell what drums with bad heads are going to sound like tuned up.

Bad cymbals on the other hand are easy to spot. Crack=bad. keyhole=bad (because it is a sign that the owner did not take good care of his cymbal). Usually a slight keyhole, less than 1/8th inch is considered ok. A keyhole is when the center hole has a notch in it from wearing directly against the metal stand's post. Discolored is okay. Again--Does it sound good?

• Members

cool

i reckon i can pick out if the shells are ok and if it sounds all right, i wouldnt buy without hearing them

i dont play at the moment as such but i was messing with the school kit (pearl export) and i was enjoying it and could handle sme beats so im not completley new just pretty unexperienced.

i know how to tune drums but i dont know to what. ill poke around and find an old thread on that though

thanks for all the advice

is there anyhting any of you guys do to sound proof you drum room? im not talking expensieve here just cheap foam or something

• Members

Originally posted by every-day-game

cool

is there anyhting any of you guys do to sound proof you drum room? im not talking expensieve here just cheap foam or something

Are you worried about neighbors? Soundboard or sheetrock seems to work the best, especially sheetrock since it's heavier. I've had good luck with soundboard but it takes more layers. However, both will only muffle the sound unless you build a room with in the room and that gets pretty involved. Or you could stack it in several layers and that should keep the neighbors from complaining. Hang it inside over your outside walls and definitely any windows. Sound tends to leak like water so do your best to make a tight seal.

Foam will do pretty much nuthin.

Archived