Misconceptions starting out drumming

• Members
Originally posted by Fafnir777

I'm sorry, but you are disqualified because both of those are true!
:D
:D

Tim

Personally I think you don't suck if you can't play technical beats, it just means you aren't great.

All the great drummers can pull off some technical stuff well. If you can do that, it just makes the less technical beats that much more effortless.

• Members

Originally posted by stapes2260

39. I only need a year or so of practice to be good enough to play in a band

40. The best way to practice is to play along to cds

Any specific band or just 'a' band?

I have to disagree with that one it all depends how much effort the individual puts in,I feel confident enough after 10 weeks of playing to play with a band if I had the chance.

• Members

Originally posted by rumblebelly

Personally I think you don't suck if you can't play technical beats, it just means you aren't great.

All the great drummers can pull off some technical stuff well. If you can do that, it just makes the less technical beats that much more effortless.

True stuff. Also, look there are plenty of guys playing who play very simple stuff, and you'd never know that they have great technical abilities.

It's called 'playing for the song'. If the music calls for a triple ratimacue played on double kicks across the bar in 24/7 time, by all means go for it. Sometimes, however, the music calls for a simple backbeat with eighths on the hi-hats.

• Members

Originally posted by ShishKaboom!

Any specific band or just 'a' band?

I have to disagree with that one it all depends how much effort the individual puts in,I feel confident enough after 10 weeks of playing to play with a band if I had the chance.

I'm not doubting your ability on drums by any means, but 10 weeks is pretty early to be joining a band. I joined a band in january after 3 years of solid playing ( i play 2 hours a day about 5 days a week) and I found out FAST that I had a lot to learn. The guys i play with have all been playing much longer than me, all 10+ years with private instruction. I played the trumpet for 10 years and the piano before trumpet, so i've been fortunate to have been active in music for a very long time. If it weren't for those experiences before picking up drums, i'd be playing catch up even more than I am already. My point is that there's a lot more to being the drummer than just keeping a steady beat. It feels like you have to understand the ins and outs of every instrument to be able to keep them all glued together. The guitarists do whatever they want (of course) and the bass player is essentially following the drummer, so the drummer has to know how to take charge and drive the band. I think that's why it's neccessary for a band to have a very solid, confident, and versatile drummer. Nothing hinders a band more than an ill prepared drummer.

• Members
Originally posted by stapes2260

...Nothing hinders a band more than an ill prepared drummer.

True, but nothing gets you experience quicker than playing with other musicians. :)

Of course, if you're dragging the other musicians back because of your lacking skills, they may not want to play with you again.

How many of us were truly 'ready' the first time we played with other people? I know I wasn't. Luckily, I was about 15 and the guitarist in the 'band' we were forming was just about as bad as I was, so we got along great.

• Members

Theres no law that say you have to be a session standard player before you get out there and play with other musicians,there is no quicker way to learn how to play with others than actually doing it,as long as your under no illusions as to your skill level then get out there and do it.
My commitments at the moment would make being in a band hard until next year but I'm going to be getting experience by picking up the sticks at a local rock/blues jam night,I really can't wait.
I really think it depends a lot on the motivation of the individual as to when you are ready,some people are more driven than others and have more time to devote to practice.
My main ambition is to teach drums and I have discussed this at length with my teacher who has given me a target of passing my Grade 8 drum exam within 2 years and begin building up a body of students from there.It will be good to give back some of the enjoyment drumming is giving to be to others.I also have the advantage that female drum teachers and somewhat in demand and there are only 2 teachers accredited to teach in schools in my entire county so this is maybe what I will aim at.

• Members

Originally posted by ShishKaboom!

Theres no law that say you have to be a session standard player before you get out there and play with other musicians

Actually, there is. There's a federal statute against playing with other musicians before you get out and play with other musicians. It's actually a felony, and breaking the law carries with it a penalty of 20 years in prison.

Sorry Shish. Don't worry, you go out there and stick it to the man, and we'll all keep our mouths shut. We'll be your alibi...."Nope....that wasn't Shishkaboom playing out there...she was posting right here at the time officer....I think it was Zacagapalooza...."

• Members

Trick is, when you join a band it's much easier to play with people that are at the same level of experience and ability as you. However, it's always good to take the opporutinity to jam with people much better than you.

I joined a band after only a few months of playing. Yeah, I sucked but we all kinda sucked at that point. Hell I still suck, even after over 3 years! :D

• Members

I didn't say playing with other people wasn't beneficial, it most definately is. However, there's a big difference between jamming with people and being in a "band" that plays out. If you measure how long you've been playing in weeks, then you are not ready to be in a band, no matter how much determination you have. If you think that people are giong to pay a cover and sit and listen to you play after only a few months, you are suffering from serious delusions of grandeur. You won't have much of an audience outside of your circle of friends and the creepy old guys in the corner that never leave the bar.

• Members

Hey just you watch what you're saying!! I'm dating the creepy old guy in the corner that never leaves the bar!

As for delusions of granduer when you know you're a musical genius there is no point hiding your light under a bushel J/K:p

I don't think I'm ready to be in a band for a few months yet but I'm more than ready to jam with friends and at open mic nights and such.
Don't judge everyone by your own standards.

Archived