The right bow???

elmo17

• Members

Hey,

What type of bow is best for cymbals, gongs, and vibes? I've tried a friends cheap violin and it didn't work too well. Then I tried a decent bass bow and it worked much better. would a cello bow work even better? what are your recommendations before I buy a bow (and I'm not going to spend that much money; like less than 50$ if I can get away with it)? thanks

• Members

I hate to tell you this, but a real Bow like an Upright Bass/Cello Bow, is about $500, not $50.

Those cheapo things are just a waste of money. My younger brother can play both cello and upright bass, and his bow cost almost half the price of the Upright Bass!

Tim

• Members

yes I am fully aware how much a good bow is. but I am not willing to spend $500 just so I can do cymbal swells and effects, now 50$ I can do. I know I'm not going to get a great bow, but I'm looking for what type of bow is better (even though they all wont be great) for what I'm looking for, Thanks

• Members

Go for a bow made by Glasser or Coda their carbon fibre bows are many times better then pernambuco or brazilwood bows of the same money,conversely by a really cheap secondhand 'cello bow and just have fun,even for cymbal effects you will need to put rosin onto the bow hair however or you won't get any sound at all as the hair will not be able to grip the edge of the cymbal.

• Members

I happen to play both cello and bass so here you go

Keep in mind that the type of rosin you use can greatly affect the way the bow plays. Violin/cello rosin is generally finer than bass rosin which tends to be very very very coarse in comparison. I've never bowed a cymbal before, but I have a feeling that a really {censored}ty junk cello bow with a ton of Pops Bass Rosin on it will work fine. It might {censored} your cymbals up, but it will be grippy as hell.

When you put the rosin on the bow be sure you put a ton on if it is new, I've only had to break one bow in in my live and it took a {censored}load of rosin to get it playing right.

Let me know what happens.

Archived