Broken tom fixture...help!

Dark Ice

• Members

Hello guys, I havn't posted here before but I do lurk elsewhere on these boards. Anyway I've come into a spot of bother.

A mate of mine stays out of town and doesn't have a lot of room to set up his kit at home so one night after a gig he asked if I would look after his kit for a while, and I could set it up if I wanted to. Now after he left the gig that night there was another band using his kit. The next day a member of his band and I had a jam in another mates garage, so we set them up there (or should I say I went to pick up something and came back to find it set up). Somewhere along the way the screw that fastens the high tom to the pole mount on the bass drum has...em...broken. It only moves about 70 degrees in either direction before jamming :(

I was in charge of his kit when it happened so I'd like to get it fixed, but I have no idea where to begin looking. The kit is a premier, I think its an artist birch. My father was an engineer and reckons that the screw thread has doubled over. I am located in Scotland, Britain, close to Aberdeen. Where should I begin looking to get this repaired? Should I contact premier or a local music shop? Do you think this will cost much to get repaired?

I feel kinda bad about this incident, please help :(

Steve.

• Members

Bump.

I phoned premier today and they told me just to bring it back the the shop where it was bought. Oh well, I would have liked to get this guys kit repaired before it got back to him in case he needed it for a gig on short notice but I guess I'm screwed.

Any suggestions guys?

Steve.

• Members

I'd come clean about what happened regardless. Take the mount to a drum shop and show them what the problem is. It's likely something that can be fixed with a new wing nut or screw...there are lots of interchangeable parts in drum hardware. So maybe you'll get lucky and it'll be a cheap lesson learned.

Archived