drum kick skin help

bickett

• Members

Originally posted by DeepDeath

box cutter, ceramic plate, steady hand, and 2 hookers.

You forgot a clownsuit, and 30 feet of nylon rope. :confused:

Anything round can be used as a template...splash cymbal, plate, beer can, etc., just ge careful and use an exacto or similar razor type knife.

Remo makes a hole reinforcement ring that sticks on your head. If you stick it on first, you can use the inner side of the ring as a guide.

Finally, some guys use the old "hot can" method. Basically, you take an old coffee can, soup can, or other relatively heavy but appropriately sized can (not aluminum), and heat it up on a stove or with a torch. Once the edge is red hot you just place it on the drumhead where you want the hole and it'll melt a perfect circle through the head. Caution: first off (duh) the can will be hot so you'll need to pick it up with pliers or something besides your skin. Also, make sure that you've got something under and supporting the drumhead (old peice of wood or something)...wouldn't want to ruin mom's favorite rug. Finally, you'll probably create some weird fumes as the head melts...probably not enough to hurt you, but it probably makes sense to do this in a well ventilated area.

Of course, you could also just buy a head that already has a hole in it.

• Members

I highly recommend the hole reinforcement ring. I've tried the hot can method, the exacto and sauce pan thing. The hole reinforcement ring worked best. It's really easy to cut around it and when you put a hole in your drum head, it's really easy to tear it. I was messing around with muffling on my kick and the head didn't have ring on it. When I pulled the muffling out through the hole, a slight imperfection in the cut caused the whole to rip the head wide open.

• Members

I've also used "Old Steve's cheapass bastard" reinforcement rings before Holz and the Remo rings were available. I used to take packing tape (the kind with little threads running through it...almost unrippable) and put strips BEHIND the hole, running along the edge of the hole itself. In other words, I'd take 10-20 strips of tape about 6" long and place them on the edge of the hole. Since the hole is round (duh) and the tape strips were straight (see where I'm goin' yet?), the straight edge of the tape and the edge of the hole were only close together for a couple of inches...hence the use of so many strips.

From the inside of the head, it looked kind of like a cool starburst pattern around the hole. Since I didn't use clear drumeheads, the front just looked like a regular hole. Anyway, it did the trick and prevented ripping as muffling and/or mics went in and out of the drum. The Remo rings, however, are much more convenient IMHO.

• Members

Originally posted by drmrdude

Do you need muffling if you have a hole in the bassdrum head??

Need? Nope. Purely personal preference. I use a Superkick II and the aformentioned Regulator head with the 4.5" hole and I only have a small towel inside, slighltly touching the bottom of the res head.

It depends on the batter head, the sound you're after, etc.

• Members

Originally posted by rumblebelly

You gotta heat that sumbitch really hot though, it's literally gotta be glowing red.

i put a hole in my head with a soup can and i didnt have to get it that hot. I only left it on the stove for about 30 seconds or so. I had to push it through just slightly, but it left a melted ring around the hole and it hasent shown any sighns of being weak or wanting to rip

I actually dont like the sound of the bass drum with a hole in it and i want to get a new head for it, but it will do for now.

• Members

To answer drmrdude's question on if one NEEDS muffling if you have a hole in your bass head?...the answer is obviously ...no..its a personal preferrance thing..I have a 22" X16" DW bassdrum... I have the stock DW black front or resonance head with a 4.5" hole located about 5'o'clockon the basshead....and my batterbasshead is an Aquarian Superkickll..with NO EXTRA MUFFLING other than whats built into the SKll.

I mic the drum too,and I get a sweet,phat......"thudding" sound outa my bass drum.I love it!sooooooooooooooo one doesnt "need" muffling if you have a hole in your basshead....its kinda how you would like your bass drum to "sound" that might determine if you want non-stock muffling or not.

hole or no hole!

• Members

Originally posted by rambler1959

i put a hole in my head with a soup can and i didnt have to get it that hot. I only left it on the stove for about 30 seconds or so. I had to push it through just slightly, but it left a melted ring around the hole and it hasent shown any sighns of being weak or wanting to rip

I actually dont like the sound of the bass drum with a hole in it and i want to get a new head for it, but it will do for now.

I must have been doing something wrong then. Perhaps the metal alloy wasn't getting hot enough, or the fumes from the paint made me pass out and hallucinate the whole damn thing.

• Members

Originally posted by seahawk

To answer drmrdude's question on if one NEEDS muffling if you have a hole in your bass head?...the answer is obviously ...no..its a personal preferrance thing..I have a 22" X16" DW bassdrum... I have the stock DW black front or resonance head with a 4.5" hole located about 5'o'clockon the basshead....and my batterbasshead is an Aquarian Superkickll..with NO EXTRA MUFFLING other than whats built into the SKll.

I mic the drum too,and I get a sweet,phat......"thudding" sound outa my bass drum.I love it!sooooooooooooooo one doesnt "need" muffling if you have a hole in your basshead....its kinda how you would like your bass drum to "sound" that might determine if you want non-stock muffling or not.

hole or no hole!

Do you use anything like a falam or danmar patch on the batter? I have a 22x18 Yammy with a SKII batter and use little to no muffling as well. The bottom end is huge and I found that adding the falam or danmar really brought out the attack. A perfect combo IMO, big bottom, nice cutting attack.

• Members

Originally posted by rumblebelly

I must have been doing something wrong then. Perhaps the metal alloy wasn't getting hot enough, or the fumes from the paint made me pass out and hallucinate the whole damn thing.

If you woke up with can rings branded into your skin, my bet would be on passing out.

I imagine that different types of heads would melt differently, just like different types of cheeses. A thicker, 2 ply head, might need more heat, and/or maybe coated heads need a hotter can.

While I'm on the topic, maybe they should make a drumhead out of cheese. A swiss one would already have plenty of holes in it.

Archived