Hart Dynamics vs Roland

nabulldog

• Members

If both systems use a TD20 module, what are the advantages and disadvantages between a Hart Dynamics Pro 6.4 and the newest Roland V-session system?

- I know the Hart system cost less.

- The Hart head bounce seems to be less(closer to an accoustic

feel).

- The Gold Hart cymbols look good from a distance but kinda

chinsy up close. The Roland cymbols appear to be 5 to 6 times

thicker than the Hart.

Which set of cymbols plays better?

Is there any difference in feel(close to accoustic?)?

I have been told to be cautious any systems that are not designed to work as a complete package. In other words, Hart doesn't make a sound module which is tuned for their systems. You must purchase a module from another manufacture, such as Roland, then tune the heads to trigger the module you are using, giving varying results.

Has anyone expericed the head tuning process? What were your results(hard, easy, wouldn't attempt again, ect)?

I have played the new Roland system. The only complaints I have is the high hat is slow to react(sound wise not mechanical).

I've never been happy with any e-drums high hats for that reason. I get the occasional false trigger/no trigger on only one of the toms. The bounce is a little much.

- The hardware on the Hart is heavy duty, looks sharp.

The Roland looks cheap setting next to the Hart.

I am trying to decide which system to purchase? I have never played a Hart. I enjoyed playing the Roland with the above stated complaints.

I am looking for Pros an Cons that I have missed for each of the systems. Which of the systems would you buy? Keep in mind that same module is being used(TD20).

• Members

Originally posted by nabulldog

If both systems use a TD20 module, what are the advantages and disadvantages between a Hart Dynamics Pro 6.4 and the newest Roland V-session system?

Hart's hardware is far superior. The module works the same for both.

- The Hart head bounce seems to be less(closer to an accoustic

feel).

Double ply heads on the hart set. They're mesh and they definitely feel closer to real drums than anything else I've played.

- The Gold Hart cymbols look good from a distance but kinda

chinsy up close. The Roland cymbols appear to be 5 to 6 times

thicker than the Hart.

The Rides are metal, essentially 2 metal cymbals riveted together. They feel more like real cymbals, but I've had some trigger problems with the ride. Also, I used one of my rides for a crash and beat the living hell out of it. It's ONLY good for a ride.

As for the plastic/polymer crash cymbals, they seem chintsy, but they honestly trigger pretty well. I've beat the hell out of this thing, too, and other than the paint coming off, it's been really pretty damn good. Feels like a real cymbal too (if a thin one... maybe a 14" splash). The choke mechanism is really just a piece of tape on the underside, but again, it's reliable and does the trick. Roland's choke mechanism is not at all cymbal-like, IMO. The Roland cymbals are very very rubbery, so it hurt my wrist really bad after beating on them for a while. I don't know what to think of the new Roland High-hats... Did we really need 20 pounds of cymbal to move like a real high hat? Seems like over kill to me, but haven't played them that much.

Which set of cymbols plays better?

Is there any difference in feel(close to accoustic?)?

See above.

I have been told to be cautious any systems that are not designed to work as a complete package. In other words, Hart doesn't make a sound module which is tuned for their systems. You must purchase a module from another manufacture, such as Roland, then tune the heads to trigger the module you are using, giving varying results.

This was my only concern in going with the Hart set. I wasn't sure if the store and Roland reps were telling me this just because someone fed them the same BS to get them to buy the set that's over $1000 more. I went ahead with the Hart set and like I said, I've had some triggering problems, but when I first got it set up, there were no triggering problems at all. I'm assuming that it needs dialled-in a little better now that I've beat the hell out of this set for 6 months. I'm a little too lazy to actually get into how to do that, but I'm sure it can be done. Like I said, the only triggering problem that is an actual concern is the ride cymbal, and again, it could come from the fact that I beat it up a little too much, or don't have it dialled in right (maybe never did). I played with this set with my band for 6 months and it did the trick. The only way I would continue to be concerned about the "complete package" argument is if you're going to be laying down MIDI tracks and need everything to be perfect every time with all stuff triggering always. However, I would wager that even a full Roland kit wouldn't live up to that. There are just too many dynamics to a stick hitting a head to easily make it digitally reliable.

Has anyone expericed the head tuning process? What were your results(hard, easy, wouldn't attempt again, ect)?

Erm... not sure I understand your question. Are you talking about the roland's being able to tune to a different pitch with the V20? If so, I don't know a damn thing about it. I'd go test it out and see if it's important to you. It wasn't to me.

- The hardware on the Hart is heavy duty, looks sharp.

The Roland looks cheap setting next to the Hart.

I totally agree... I think the roland kit has always looked like a toy. At least they made their drums bigger, but the hardware still looks like fischer-price, in my opinion.

I am trying to decide which system to purchase? I have never played a Hart. I enjoyed playing the Roland with the above stated complaints.

If you're in CO, let me know and you can come play mine if you want. Hart will also send you a demo snare and ride for no obligation if you want to test it out. I think you have to pay shipping. I bought mine from http://www.musiciansbuy.com. Those guys were very cool about all of my inane questions.

• Members

Does anyone ever read my reviews on electronic {censored}, or do they all just post here, then run out and buy the shiny set that's in the store because the music store kid told them it's better?

Archived