Favorite Turntables??

Paragraph51

• Members

I'll be the first of probably many to say the 1200's are my favorites. I haven't yet had a chance to try out the new models, but I'm sure they're awesome. I like the M3D's better than the MKII for lack of the 0% click thing, but besides that there isn't too much difference to me.

There are so many good things about them it's hard to know where to start really.

First off, they last forever if treated right, and almost forever if you beat the crap out of them. I know I can depend on them almost indefinately, and that's more than I can say for just about any other piece of electronic equipment I own.

They look cool. Very classic, clean design that looks just as much at home next to a piece of crap Numark mixer as it does a vintage Bozak. I think lots of the turntables that are coming out now look like toys. (Vestax PDX, Numark TTX, etc...) There are also the tons of other turntable models that are designed in very similar appearance, and who can blame them? Technics was just the first to get it right.

For my needs, the 1200 has all the features I want without going overboard on the bells & whisltles. There's no big LCD screen to show me stuff I don't need to know, extra faders for extreme pitch adjustment, interchangeable tonearms, or any of that crap. Those things might be nice for other people, but I don't want them.

Those are the big reasons I guess, but there's just something intangible about them that endears them to me for some reason. There might be better technology, more torque or more glitter in another model, but I don't think I'll ever want anything else.

• Members

i took like and am still on a break(i mix drum and bass so i need good speakers that i still cant afford) and i look at the new stuff from newmark and i doubt it could be good at all, i mean it looks "plasticey."

i loved my tt1+s though. numark made those back in about 99 and back. great turntables, very solid, and yes i consider them good enough to be put next to the 1200s on a list of good turntables

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

the TTX1's are not toys. They may look a bit gimmicky with the blue light thing but the main thing is that the turntable does what you ask of it, every time. I've used Technics mk2s and they're good too. They are both solid.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Technics SL-1200 mk II's

Learned on a 20+ year old pair of Technics 1600's. (Similar to the 1200's in torque but has floating suspension and automatic arm return. Also has crappy little rotary pitch controls)

The 1200's are rugged, reliable, and consistent. The design is so robust that it has remained virtually unchanged since about 1978. They are the de-facto club standard for a very good reason and are also the most copied design for the same reason.

I love my 1200's.

and I want a third one....maybe some day.:cool:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

why are there other turntables even being considered? The Technics SL1200 has been the industry standard for ages. It's true, some of the newer decks out there offer some neat features, but when are you ever going to play live on one? Anyone who wants to DJ publically better learn to use Technics, because that's what you're going to be playing on if you ever get a gig. They're tough as nails and last forever, they're consistent and steady. I depend on knowing the friction on the side of the platter so I can adjust mixes with precision. I have used Stanton decks and people are not wrong, they work fine. But they don't feel the same and so nothing is as automatic when using them as it is when we all agree on a standard. I've never seen another turntable that would make me considered switching.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by digitalb0y

why are there other turntables even being considered? The Technics SL1200 has been the industry standard for ages.

Although that is TRUE and I LOVE Technics, alot of these companies have stepped up the bar and made actually even better turntables then the TECHNICS. the VESTAX is a good example. I dunno why the tone arm is curved on a technics when really you get a better grip on the record when the tone-arm is STRAIGHT.

But overall, TECHNICS seem to be indsutry standard and most of these clubs and venues are equipped with those. So for the sake of being use to using the same equipment from home, I stuck with Technics.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

ANSWER: The tonearm on the Technics is curved to minimize the tracking angle error of the stylus in the groove. With a straight tonearm, the error is correct at only one point between the outermost and innermost groove of the record with growing error as you move away from that point. The famous S-curved tonearm was designed to have a correct angle at two point along the record while minimizing the error at other points. The only tonearm system that can have zero error is a linear tracking tonearm which is not practical for dj applications.

While the errors may be less with an S shaped tonearm, it probably doesn't mean much since dj's tend to use styli (needles) whose tip shape doesn't care so much about tracking angle. We tend to use conic chaped styli instead of elliptical or bi-radial which are sensitive to tracking angle errors (and are much more costly). The error may affect channel seperation slightly.

All in all I don't know about the claims that str8 arms are better for "grip" on the record...might be true...might not. But as a matter of preference I grew up with S-shaped arms, they work for me, and that's what I spin on and will most likely continue to do so.

• Members

i used to have TTX1s that I loved- the torque is amazing

but then they died because they are poorly made

picked up my 1200mk2s and haven't looked back since- they are superior in everyway. I know that a lot of people can't start on them beacuse they are infact expensive but they are so accurate and road read

• 3 weeks later...

Archived