bass pedal choice

john clarity

• Members

i'm just after buying a speed king on ebay for $20- not the one i was looking for, but it'll do to try it out. because it doesn't seem to be in as good condition as the one i wanted, i may yet end up buying a more modern pedal. the choices i'm looking at, identically priced here where i'm looking to buy them, are a pearl eliminator or a DW5000. both are strap-driven, cos i like the feel of them over chain-driven. can anyone throw any recommendations either way?

also, would anyone have any inclination towards a new, modern speed king over them?

• Members

I like the power that my DW 5000 TB but it's no where as fast as my Axis Longboard double pedals.

XUSH, keep up with the Axis Longboard, you'll probibly like it after time. When I first got mine I didn't really care for them either, I was so used to cam driven pedals. But now I swear by my Axis pedals, I love them to death!

The speed I have developed on these pedals are incredible and it's due to the pedals longer foot board, and direct drive system. Yes, these things are expensive and don't look that great, but holly crap! They're faster than hell!

• Members

aye, that they are! I love my regular double A's. The sensitivity is incredible. You're using the Sonic Hammer Beaters? I just got some, they're pretty nice too.

Do you use heel-toe technique on the Longboard? I hear people love them for that kind of approach.

• Members

Originally posted by xush

aye, that they are! I love my regular double A's. The sensitivity is incredible. You're using the Sonic Hammer Beaters? I just got some, they're pretty nice too.

Do you use heel-toe technique on the Longboard? I hear people love them for that kind of approach.

Yes, I have the sonic beaters and the standard axis beaters. The sonic hammers are just too heavy, I didn't like them. The standard Axis beaters were too light and didn't have that much of a rebound. I eventually just used the felt beaters from my old Yamaha's, they worked just fine.

Yes, I use the heel-toe technique with the longboards, that's why I love them. Last night I timed myself at roughly 12.25 beats per second with them, I'll have to get a drumometer though to officially time myself.

• Members

Originally posted by seahawk

Tama Iron Cobra.......you'll love it!..not "cheap' but worth every penny as far as my playing anyway.

*drool*

DW 5000 are nice because they don't move around no matter what (most good pedals shouldn't anyway though!!) BUT Tama Iron Cobra..you just can't go wrong, haha. Iron Cobra Power Glide Double Kick...go for one of those...expensive though...

• Members

Originally posted by drummerforsale

*drool*

DW 5000 are nice because they don't move around no matter what (most good pedals shouldn't anyway though!!) BUT Tama Iron Cobra..you just can't go wrong, haha. Iron Cobra Power Glide Double Kick...go for one of those...expensive though...

Worth every single dollar, pound sterling, euro....whatever your currency is :D

• Members

Hey! the DW 5000 series strap drive pedals are great! I just bought a discontinued one from 2002 (but it was new) and its a strap drive, though it still uses the older 5000 looking footboards. It's very very smooth, I like it a lot for jazz and light rocking!! I also have an Axis A single - it's a modern speed king and it's extremely fast, also includes a leverage adjustment. If you wanted a speedking I suggest you get the longboard because the regular is just a heelplate and footboard, longboard is just a longboard. :)

• Members

Originally posted by john clarity

:confused:
confused... hopefully my speed king will arrive soon and i can begin to work through this mess... i think i'll just have to play all these pedals myself if i'm not happy with the speed king. do they sell longboards in europe?

I don't know of any place were you can just go to the store and buy Axis longboards, these pedals are pretty spendy and they probibly don't move a lot of them in places like Guitar Center. I had to order mine online. You can't go wrong with the Axis Longboards, they're the greatest pedal ever.

• Members

I wish those Axis pedals weren't so freaking weird looking. Lots of people probably wouldn't be able to take a professional drummer too seriously if they saw them playing on something like that and didn't know any better.

I also wish they were't so gd expensive. Do you think they just jack the price, or that they actually cost that much more to make for some strange reason?

• Members

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

I wish those Axis pedals weren't so freaking weird looking. Lots of people probably wouldn't be able to take a professional drummer too seriously if they saw them playing on something like that and didn't know any better.

I also wish they were't so gd expensive. Do you think they just jack the price, or that they actually cost that much more to make for some strange reason?

Yes, the Axis pedals aren't that attractive at all, that's my only complaint about them as well. However they're made from sheets of aircraft grade aluminium, so it would be impossible for them to look like any die cast pedal. The materials they're made out of are probibly why they're a little more spendy, also they're made in America, and they probibly know pedal freaks myself would pay top dollar for a pedal the performs amazingly.

One of these days I'll have to record myself using these things, just to show everybody how fast they are. I'm very glad that I purchased them.

• Members

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

It's also my understanding that most of the components for Axis pedals are milled rather than cast.

What's the difference? Cast is the good old "pour the moleten metal in a mold" method, whereas milling is using high speed cutting drills to 'carve' a component out of a block of metal.

It's a whole lot easier to mass produce cast components. You can make a bunch of molds, melt a whole heap of metal, and punch out a bunch of parts in a hurry. Milling takes a lot longer, involves a lot of much more expensive machinery, and usually puts out much more exacting parts.

So technically, the Axis pedals are made out of more highly refined parts and on more expensive equipment. The rest are made out of 'really good' parts on less expensive equipment.

Based on this alone, some people would say that the Axis pedals are of higher quality...and if you're measuring quality by the type of metal and consistency of the components, then they're probably right. Then again, I can cut a peanut butter sandwich in half with a $1 million dollar milling machine, or use a plastic knife and end up with pretty much the same lunch.

To me, the Axis pedals border on overkill...especially compared to the relative quality of Tama's, DW's, Pearl's, and Yamaha's top end pedals. But to some others out there, the Axis pedals are worth every penny because of the extra smoothness in their action. I DO like the longboard concept and think it's very unique...I kinda wish the guys from the other companies could figure out a way to bring that concept to their pedals.

As for looks, who cares?!? Who the heck is gonna see it behind your kick drum anyway?!? Frankly, I like the way they look, but I always like the looks of things that look like they're from a different planet.

• Members

I agree with Old Steve completely.

I like how light my pedals feel, this is probibly due to the aluminium used in it's construction. Axis could have gotten away with using die cast parts on non moving components, but they decided to make the whole unit out of aluminium.

I prefer the longboards because I have larger feet, and the longer board allows me to pull off our accurate heel toe double strokes with ease. The direct drive system makes the movement of the pedals very precise, I've had the chains on my DW 5000 buckle before.

Any other pedal could probibly work just fine with me, but since I rely so much on alternating double strokes with my feet, the Axis Longboards are the only pedal that allows me to execute them at amazing speeds.

• Members

You know you're right, strap driven pedals are very much under rated. They're extremely fast pedals. I remember that I was extremly fast with the old strap driven pedal I used in Jazz band.

The obvious draw back of the old pedals was strap failure, the chain system solved that. But chains just arn't as smooth as straps. With kevlar straps, it's almost like chain driven pedals are obsolete now.

Archived