Hey ulank!!

Blastem

• Members

You commented on the Yamaha Steve Jordan snare a couple of posts ago. Man that drum is sweet. Took it to practice last nite and "WOW" is all I can say. I dont think that drum can be tuned wrong. High, low, in the middle it just sounds great. One of Yamaha's top three snares of all time. I got mine from a local shop here in PA. The price went up slightly from when I started looking at them 6 months ago. Yamaha has them stocked so dont pay any attention to Musicians Friend/Guitar Center telling to wait 2 months for it. I buy and support my local shop anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by Blastem

You commented on the Yamaha Steve Jordan snare a couple of posts ago. Man that drum is sweet. Took it to practice last nite and "WOW" is all I can say. I dont think that drum can be tuned wrong. High, low, in the middle it just sounds great. One of Yamaha's top three snares of all time. I got mine from a local shop here in PA. The price went up slightly from when I started looking at them 6 months ago. Yamaha has them stocked so dont pay any attention to Musicians Friend/Guitar Center telling to wait 2 months for it. I buy and support my local shop anyway.

Cool. :cool: Yah, my bassist was in another band for a while and the drummer had one. It sounded incredible - fat yet crisp and defined. I have a local shop I always go to here that was stocking it for maybe $10 more than GC. I think it was about $359 the last I looked, but that was a while ago, so my memory and/or that price could be shot. Still, I will eventually own one. I have a 14x5.5 right now, so I think the 13x6.5 would be a great complement....or it may even become my main snare! :):cool:

Glad your diggin the new toy - it's a great feeling. :D

• Members

Originally posted by drmrdude

What store are you talking about ulank? Because theres a drumshop called the The Drum Pad. I forget where it is, I have to check. The store is really nice and the prices are mayb $20 more compared to samash GC and MF.

That's the place! :cool: It's in Palatine, I'm about 5 minutes away. I would say it is one of THE best drum shops in the country as far as reputation, setting up quality clinics and stock/inventory, etc. Very well known and well-supported drum shop. The price difference compared to GC is completely negligible considering the better service you get and the fact that you know the product wasn't raped by some epileptic hack.

Mike Portnoy did a clinic that they setup about 2 years ago. Portnoy typically does clinics on a simpler, smaller drum sets, but Vic at the DP spent a month or so getting all the pieces and setting up Portnoy's Siamese monster kit just as he has it setup. Portnoy walked in to the clinic and was blown away saying "how the HELL did you get my kit here!?" :D He gave great props to the DP. They get everyone from Dennis Chambers to Terry Bozio to Steve Smith, etc. etc. etc.

My bassist's roommate works there and said he got to pick up Steve Smith from the airport once. That's :cool::)

The ONLY thing that mildly sucks about that place is they're still in 1982 with their cashier {censored}. They fill out receipts manually, have to look up prices on each item individually and add them up and figure out tax on a calculator. Nothing on computer. :o I typically don't mind because IMO computers suck as much as they help and you can just sit and chat while they're ringing you up anyway. But if you're in a hurry or they're very busy, it can be a while.

• Members

That place is the best store in or around the city IMHO. I have only gotten out there mayb twice cuz im on the south side but that is my fav drum store. There arent too many little drum shops around town. Are you familar with midwest percussion? That place is about 10 minutes from my crib. Its an okay shop but I like the service at DP more.

Archived