Yamaha Absolute Maple Nouveau pics

Black Frog

• Members

I've had some interest from people on the boards about this line of drums with the new Nouveau lugs on them so I thought I'd snap some pics to give a closeup of the drums and finish. I'm very impressed with these drums and the die-cast hoops provide VERY sensative tuning response. The finish is "Honey Yellow" and is superb. I'm having more fun playing this kit than my DW kit....

www.blackfrogmusic.com/pics/nouveau/frontright.jpg

www.blackfrogmusic.com/pics/nouveau/rearset.jpg

www.blackfrogmusic.com/pics/nouveau/toms.jpg

Here's a closeup of the woodgrain with a flash:

www.blackfrogmusic.com/pics/nouveau/floorwflash.jpg

www.blackfrogmusic.com/pics/nouveau/tom1.jpg

www.blackfrogmusic.com/pics/nouveau/badge.jpg

www.blackfrogmusic.com/pics/nouveau/kicklug.jpg

www.blackfrogmusic.com/pics/nouveau/lowleftkick.jpg

• Members

forgot to post sizes:

20x18 kick

13x5.5 snare

10x8 tom

12x9 tom

14x14 floor

I wanted a kit that is "in between" my little Hipgig Jr. for small venues, and my larger DW kit for festivals and such. I really love this kit, makes me think about selling my DW's and expanding upon this setup, or ordering bigger sizes.

The cool thing is that you can order the Nouveaus piece by piece, and pick and choose certain woods and get the same finish on them. For example you can pick birch toms, beech snare, and maple kick drum and have them all match.

I was chicken of doing that though and just stuck with Maple throughout this kit.

• Members

Very nice! :cool:

If I didn't dislike Yamaha's mounting system, those might be at the top of my wish list. I understand the "nodal points" theory, but I still don't like it. IMO, YESS mounts should be their mid-level mounting system with a RIMS-type system for their high end kits.

• Members

Originally posted by Black Frog

The cool thing is that you can order the Nouveaus piece by piece, and pick and choose certain woods and get the same finish on them. For example you can pick birch toms, beech snare, and maple kick drum and have them all match.

Oh dear! The fun I could have with that and a whole lotta cash...

• Members

Real nice kit!!! I play Yamaha Maple Customs. Had them for 8 years and love them. I just picked up a 13X6.5 Steve Jordan Signature snare tonight. What a nice warm drum. Yamaha is the way to go for the "more bag for your buck." I just had a close friend had the chance to go and help build his kit at the factory in Japan. He has Oak Customs. He kept his bass drum virgin which is one option I think Yamaha should think about offering. I have to say I wish they offered that color "Honey Yellow" when I purchased my kit!!

• Members

YESS mounts should be their mid-level mounting system with a RIMS-type system for their high end kits.

I have my DW's with their isolating rim-type mounts. I was a little hesitant of the YESS mount at first, but now that I've had it a while I don't even think about it. These toms seem to sing and just little tweaks on a lug bolt makes a noted difference as you're tuning. Moreso than any flange-hooped tom I've had. I think the great sound from these toms is the thin, resonant maple and the die-cast hoops which are aluminum.

where did you buy it from? and when you buy it does it come with the mount you use for the two high toms ?

Music Center in Kenosha WI, but we ordered everything from Yamaha who has a wharehouse in Michigan. We called to see what sizes of what different woods and finishes they had in stock. I got lucky and they had just what I wanted in this finish, and this longer 20" kick is not their default size so I was pleasantly surprised it was in stock. Otherwise you may be looking at 6-8 week wait.

I just ordered the drums (no hardware), and then ordered the stand seperately. I got the "heavier duty" double tom stand, and they do make a lighter weight one as well.

Archived