16" drops out of tune

dawgfish

• Members

what could be a common reason that a drum goes out of tune after about a half an hour? I did put new heads on the drum, and was careful to make sure they were seated properly. I was using a coated head on top and a clear on the bottom. I noticed it after pre gig practice that the top was getting flappy and loosing tune, so I quickly switched the two around. Then, half way into the show, the new top head started getting flappy, too. I play a vistalite kit, and have never had any problems like this. I don't believe that it's the heads i'm using. What could possibly be wrong with the drum? It's plastic...

• Members

Originally posted by dawgfish

What could possibly be wrong with the drum? It's plastic...

I think that answers the question!!! :eek:

My hunch is the lugs are loosening from the vibration as you play and/or the hoop is crap and as you play, the head slips.

• Members
Originally posted by ulank

I think that answers the question!!!
:eek:

My hunch is the lugs are loosening from the vibration as you play and/or the hoop is crap and as you play, the head slips.

It's not a quality issue - vistalites kick ass - and are quality drums.

• Members

Originally posted by dawgfish

what could be a common reason that a drum goes out of tune after about a half an hour? I did put new heads on the drum, and was careful to make sure they were seated properly. I was using a coated head on top and a clear on the bottom. I noticed it after pre gig practice that the top was getting flappy and loosing tune, so I quickly switched the two around. Then, half way into the show, the new top head started getting flappy, too. I play a vistalite kit, and have never had any problems like this. I don't believe that it's the heads i'm using. What could possibly be wrong with the drum? It's plastic...

Switching the 2 wont do you any good.

A head that size will stretch some after it's on....which could be the issue. Check for any lugs that come loose. If none are - then the head is stretching.....just tighten it up. On large drums it can be a good idea to put the head under some tension over-night and let it seat in that way. You may be tuning it a bit too low as well.

Any lugs coming loose on ya (lets start there)?

• Members

well first off, how old are the heads you are using? Second, I'd get a screw driver and tighten down the lugs well. (don't overtighten, especially on a vistalite kit, you could crack the shell).

Next, find a very flat table and take the heads and rim off and lay the bearing edge down on the table. Does the bearing edge touch all the way around the drum (ie. is it warped?)

• Members

There's really only 3 things it could be, IMHO:

1.) the head is stetching...in which case you just have to keep tightening it as it stretches until it stops (common with new heads).

2.) the lugs are slipping...in which case you could get some lug locks or put some loctite on the tuning rods

3.) the heads are actually staying at the same tension, but the rest of the world is getting tighter making it SEEM like the heads are getting looser.

My guess is it's #3. The solution is to wrap your head in aluminum foil (so the CIA can't read your brainwaves) and spend at least 3 hours screaming at passing cars every day....at least that's what I do in such instances.

• Members

Originally posted by Old Steve

My guess is it's #3. The solution is to wrap your head in aluminum foil (so the CIA can't read your brainwaves) and spend at least 3 hours screaming at passing cars every day....at least that's what I do in such instances.

Um... the drumhead or your head??:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Ignited

waiting for your answer, Steve.

Sorry for the delay...I took the foil off and figured the CIA would get back to you after they read my brainwaves. It was time to go outside and yell at cars, anyway.

So, the question at hand is "which head". While this appears to be a wide opening for some kind of wiener joke, I'll not stoop to such levels on a subject so serious.

It's a known fact that the CIA, through their UFO division has been putting microscopic robots in popular food items for years....McDonald's french fries, Coca Cola, tofu, corn on the cob...you name it. Those few people who don't eat the doctored food products are visited by "aliens" in "UFOs" who are actually CIA workers dressed in spaceman suits who will physicallly implant the proper devices (we've all heard those stories, right?!?). So, these little robots are activated by bodily fluids, and once active enter into your nervous system and establish residence in your brainstem. Once there, they lock their receptors into your neurons and begin broadcasting your every thought in real time. All of this data is received by the big antenna in Washington DC, hidden in the Washington monument (which as we all know was actually designed as an "escape rocket" for the president but has been decommissioned now that teleportation has been perfected). Anyway, after the data is received, it's all fed into a giant super-pentium powered computer that takes up a few hundred acres of underground storage at the pentagon (duh...obvious one here...pentium, pentagon...how dumb do they think we are, anyway?!?). Ironically, most of the data that they received is used for market research purposes, and sold back to corporations who want to sell you things. The data can also be used, however, to pick out "troublemakers" within society. Currently a "troublemaker" is defined as anyone who is doesn't watch "The Apprentice". To block the CIA from these transmissions you should wrap your entire head (the one connected to your neck) in aluminum foil. But BE CAREFUL...if a CIA operative sees you with foil on your head you'll be labeled as a "troublemaker" and they'll abduct you and put you in the secret prison facility located in the Cinderella's Castle in Walt Disney World and given a lobotomy. So watch out for the CIA guys....you can usually identify them by finding the bar code tatooed to their inner thigh. If there's any doubt, just wrestle the suspected agent to the ground and do whatever it takes to find the tattoo. If it turns out that the person ISN'T an agent, just apologize politely and go back to yelling at traffic.

As for your drum problem, I'm pretty sure that the head isn't getting any looser and it really is the rest of your environment that is tightening up around you. Most likely it's the CIA screwing with you, which is why I advise the aluminum foil thing.

Hope this clears things up.

Archived