removing drum wrap

dawgfish

• Members

Silly question, perhaps, but why not.

I have a vistalite kit and, to be honest, I'm tired of the color(s). Red white and blue. I was think of wrapping it to give it a different look for awhile. Anyone know if it would be relatively painless to remove said wrap after I choose to go back? The wrap I'm considering doesn't use glue all over the drum, just a strip of really strong adhesive where the wrap overlaps. Any advice?

• Members

I wouldn't do it. That's probably the right kind of wrap to use in that situation, but I still wouldn't do it.

I've heard of guys using shelf paper as wraps. That would be easy to remove later on down the road. Plus they come pretty patterns with flowers, fruits and veggies, farm animals, etc. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by dawgfish

Silly question, perhaps, but why not.

I have a vistalite kit and, to be honest, I'm tired of the color(s). Red white and blue. I was think of wrapping it to give it a different look for awhile. Anyone know if it would be relatively painless to remove said wrap after I choose to go back? The wrap I'm considering doesn't use glue all over the drum, just a strip of really strong adhesive where the wrap overlaps. Any advice?

I don't see that as being a problem. I took the wraps off my bass drums and had no problems with it at all. If you put the wrap on, and just stick it to itself, and put the hardware on to help hold it on, you'd be fine.

• Members

I don't see a big problem with it. The ONLY thing I'd worry about would be the adhesive and/or any chemicals you'd use to remove the adhesive. Certain petroleum based chemicals do bad things to plastic, and even some supposedly harmless chemicals can leave clear plastic looking kind of cloudy.

I'd find a piece of clear acrylic somewhere and test the tape out on it for a few days, and then see what happens when you peel it off.

Another thing to consider is that Vistalites (no matter what kind of ugly color they were) are now very "cool" again as collectors items. A red/white/blue combo might be even more collectable. If it were my call, I'd do some research in the vintage market and find some vista-nut collector who will give you a princely sum for them. Then turn that cash into a nice new kit of whatever color choice you want.

• Members

The drums are in great shape, but I've noticed that we're on the downward side of the bubble in regards to the VL craze. A year ago I would have gotten a nice price for them but now it seems no one wants to pay what they're worth. I bought them in '99 for about 1100.00 and now I'm seeing that they're just not pulling that kind of return. I'm merely considering the possibility of wrapping them as I don't really have the cash to get what I really want...A vintage blue sparkle Ludwig kit.

Archived