Noise !

rufuss

• Members

Originally posted by Rufus

Anyone else have sensitive ears ?

Not since I damaged the crap out of them from years of playing without ear protection. :(

If you like playing to music, get a pair of sound-muffling headphones. They are normal music headphones, but they deaden the outside sound. I first started using them as "stage monitors" instead of having a 12" speaker and a huge horn blasting in my ears every gig. Never went to bed with ringing ears again.

They're not as efficient as normal earplugs, but the most important thing was keeping the cymbal dB down. It's the higher frequencies that do the most damage.

• Members

Originally posted by PaulyWally

Not since I damaged the crap out of them from years of playing without ear protection.
:(

If you like playing to music, get a pair of sound-muffling headphones. They are normal music headphones, but they deaden the outside sound. I first started using them as "stage monitors" instead of having a 12" speaker and a huge horn blasting in my ears every gig. Never went to bed with ringing ears again.

They're not as efficient as normal earplugs, but the most important thing was keeping the cymbal dB down. It's the higher frequencies that do the most damage.

Thanks, I bought a pair of steinhauser headphones but i'm finding it hard to get used to. I don't think thay are sound-deadning ?

• Members

Originally posted by Rufus

Just relocated my kit from 24x32 garage to upstairs loft 12x18. Now this room isn't that small but, the noise is killing me. I play to music and have all my heads rubber padded. Anyone else have sensitive ears ?

Of course it's gonna kill your ears if you don't wear some decent hearing protection. Try dripping at least 1/3 of a cup of roofing tar into each ear. Make sure you pack it in real good with a screw driver...phillips is works best. Don't be afraid to shove it in real hard with several jabbing motions. If the tar starts running out because of the heat in your head (mine does because I'm running a fever most of the time), a roll or two of duct tape should hold it in pretty well. Best of luck.

• Members

Originally posted by rumblebelly

Of course it's gonna kill your ears if you don't wear some decent hearing protection. Try dripping at least 1/3 of a cup of roofing tar into each ear. Make sure you pack it in real good with a screw driver...phillips is works best. Don't be afraid to shove it in real hard with several jabbing motions. If the tar starts running out because of the heat in your head (mine does because I'm running a fever most of the time), a roll or two of duct tape should hold it in pretty well. Best of luck.

The "several jabbing motions" killed me! ha!

• Members

Originally posted by ulank

The "several jabbing motions" killed me! ha!

Literally? If so, we might have to file charges against my man Rumblebelly.

As good as roofing tar is, you'd be amazed at how well liquid nails works. You can get that caulk tip right down there against your eardrum for good adhesion. The trick is to stick a couple of eye bolts in your ears while the stuff is still wet. Then when you're done practicing, just tie the eyebolts off to some chains, attach the other ends of the chains to something solid, and run really hard in the opposite direction. With luck, the liquid nail plugs will come right out...there might be a little "meat" attached, but don't let that worry you.

Archived