Maple or Hickory Sticks....Why?

Greavette

• Members

I play and practice strictly jazz and I have tried both maple and hickory sticks. I really like the light weight of the maple sticks, but I can't tolerate the sound of the maple sticks on the cymbals.

The hickory gives the cymbal a much more defined ping as opposed to the maple 'gong' sound.

Which sticks to you use and why?

:cool:

• Members

I use Ahead Sticks

I used to go through about 15-20 pairs of sticks a month (I would just buy a Bulk Pack for about $120 a month) These werent top of te line sticks by all means lol they were made by a company called "jojo" (although they lasted longer than any pair of Zildjian sticks Id ever had).

I now use Ahead Sticks ($45 for a pair) and the covers last about 6 weeks, each set of covers cost $5 so it works out a LOT cheaper. The main reason i switched was because of the money issue, I couldnt keep on spending so much a month on sticks lol.

I prefer the sound of Nylon tips on my drums and cymbals too and imo the nylon tips make your overal sound louder. Also with wooden sticks if they had wooden tips the tips would be gone in a day or two.

The only problems I have with htem is the weight, they are so much more heavier than wooden sticks, but you get used to them, even when you do get used to them though theres a very big difference between using them and wooden sticks. I dont mind that much though because I like to have a bit of weight behind the sticks.

• Members

your poll allowed me to vote for 3 choices (Maple, Hickory and Other)

I recently bought one MF cheapo brick of maple and one of Hickory.

Their both like 5b's.

I like them both, and the maple's are lighter.

I also use some ProMark oak 5a, 5b and Jazz nylon.

I also have a couple of pair of vic firth Dennis Chambers, and a couple of sets of Zildjian Trilok Gurtu's.

I have no real reason. I'm just blazing my way through deciding what to use for what.

Drums are fun

:)

• Members

Originally posted by tangman

I used to go through about 15-20 pairs of sticks a month (I would just buy a Bulk Pack for about $120 a month) These werent top of te line sticks by all means lol they were made by a company called "jojo" (although they lasted longer than any pair of Zildjian sticks Id ever had).

Jojo's are Regal Tip "B" line. You know the ones that don't pass final inspection, but aren't bad enough to toss.

I started out way back like 10 years ago with Jojo's also, then graduated to Regal Tip. I used Zildjian for a few years and moved to Ahead. Since then I went back to nylon tip and no one else will do but the people who created it.....Regal tip

• Members

Originally posted by masonni

Jojo's are Regal Tip "B" line. You know the ones that don't pass final inspection, but aren't bad enough to toss.

I started out way back like 10 years ago with Jojo's also, then graduated to Regal Tip. I used Zildjian for a few years and moved to Ahead. Since then I went back to nylon tip and no one else will do but the people who created it.....Regal tip

ahh I see.kinda like what "nova" are to Vic Firth. They were good sticks but I rpefer Ahead's now.

• Members

I use Vater Los Angeles 5a hickory sticks....... and its new to me. I have been using maple sticks.. i found the hickory to be denser feeling and seem to bounce better off the batter head of my drum.I also like the rimshot"click" to be more pronounced with these white hickory sticks....oh I use the wood tip .So far i've broken only 1 stick in 6 months.

Archived