Anyone here use Aquarian Studio X heads?

Skr4ped

• Members

I use coated Studio Xs on my Rockstar Customs. My drums sound better than ever. If you're looking for more resonance than G2s, I would try either clear Double Thins or coated Studio Xs (the coating combined with the muffle ring mellows most of the single ply pingyness).

------------------

EDIT: I guess I should read your post more closely.

If regular G2s are too open, try coated G2s. Studio Xs (and Double Thins) are more open than G2s.

• Members

Originally posted by Snake

I use coated Studio Xs on my Rockstar Customs. My drums sound better than ever. If you're looking for more resonance than G2s, I would try either clear Double Thins or coated Studio Xs (the coating combined with the muffle ring mellows most of the single ply pingyness).

------------------

If regular G2s are too open, try coated G2s. Studio Xs (and Double Thins) are more open than G2s.

I recently put on a Studio X texture coated w/ Power Dot on my snare. It's still pretty open IMO and has a bit of the pinginess yet. I'm going to try the Focus X which appears to be more in line with the Powerstroke 3 - single ply, with loose muffle ring around the edge. Overall though I love the aquarian coating and their heads in general.

• Members

Originally posted by Snake

I actually have a coated G2 on my rack tom, and a regular G2 on my floor tom. Without the rings, both of them sound a little weird (I'm thinking it's the overtones), but I'd like them to be a little more open than with the rings. I think next time I change me heads I'll try some Studio Xs, and then I'll move to the coated ones if I don't like those.

I have a coated Remo Ambassador on the snare right now, and I love it. I used to have a Evans dry snare head with the vent holes, and I didn't like it at all. I like a little ring to my snare, and the Remo gives me that.

• Members

Originally posted by Skr4ped

I use Evans G2s with studio rings right now, and it's a little
too
muffled. But without the rings it's too open. Would the Sudio Xs be a good compromise?

The studio-x sound is almost exatley like a REMO Powerstroke3 or an Ambassador with a ring on it.

Consider an Aquaraian PerformanceII.

• Members

Originally posted by P.Sound

The studio-x sound is almost exatley like a REMO Powerstroke3 or an Ambassador with a ring on it.

Consider an Aquaraian PerformanceII.

Based on construction, wouldn't the Focus-X be closer to the Powerstroke 3 than the Studio-X? The StudioX's muffling ring is part of the head and there's no muffling around the edge per se. On the other hand, the Powerstroke3 has a loose muffle ring around the edge which is how the Focus-X is described. I used to play the Powerstroke 3 but didn't like the coating or durability of the head so I've been experimenting. When I put on the Studio X, it certainly seemed to have much more in the way of overtones than the Powerstroke. Not arguing here, just looking for some discussion/more thoughts on these comparable heads. Thanks! :)

• Members

Right now im using a coated studio X with power dot on my maple custom snare, and its the perfect snare head. Not to choked and not entirely open. As far as toms, on my recording customs i used the performance 2 batters which are real nice, but on my premier XPK kit i use the Coated studio X batters, and they are quite an open sound, but with good tuning i think they sound fantastic, great for live playing...

Nick-

Archived