Now the moongels...

tdempsey

• Members

have successfully cured the ringing overtones of the snare (Gretsch with original Evans Genera G1 head) - BUT

an unwelcome side effect is that the cross-stick effect isn't giving me the, uh, cross-stick sound .

hope you know what I mean, but honestly this is the reason I went acoustic (converted bass player) and not digital because I love this sound so much since it augments my very basic timekeeping ability.

A long weekend and I'm going to be futzing with this??

I never had so much trouble with new bass/guitar setups out of the box.

• Members

Rip those moon gels off.

I have NO idea why anyone would mute the ringing of their snare drum. If it rings too much, put a different head on it. If you're getting too much ring with a one ply head, try a two ply head, or a remo powerstroke 3.

I don't mean to go off on your personally td, but it kills me to see so many posts about drums ringing too much. You do realize that people listening to you play aren't going to hear your snare ringing, right?

Also, check your tuning. Sometimes a mis-tuned drum has some funky overtones.

Let 'em ring!!

*rant off*

• Members

Originally posted by gcdrummer

Rip those moon gels off.

I have NO idea why anyone would mute the ringing of their snare drum. If it rings too much, put a different head on it. If you're getting too much ring with a one ply head, try a two ply head, or a remo powerstroke 3.

I don't mean to go off on your personally td, but it kills me to see so many posts about drums ringing too much. You do realize that people listening to you play aren't going to hear your snare ringing, right?

Also, check your tuning. Sometimes a mis-tuned drum has some funky overtones.

Let 'em ring!!

*rant off*

I'm definitely on board with GC!!!! A little ring is good. Also, have someone else tap your snare drum while you stand back and listen to it...you might be surprised. Try recording the snare drum too to see if what you hear 2 feet away actually sounds good 15 feet away.

• Members

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm i dunno.......I use 1 moongel on my snare I also use a 2 ply head on it as well... I like the oh ever so slight "muffle" I get from the snare as i hit it.Its not much of one but enough to give it a sligh "thuddiness" along with a pure nice sounding ringing(which is essential in having a ggreat snap or whack sound in a snare.)

• Members

I sometimes wonder if we mean the same thing by ringing. All steel snares ring when highly tensioned. That is they have a loud, high pitched unattrative aftertone. A wood snare is not going to do that at all. A good brass shell may ring a little, but half a piece of moongel in the right place will make it disappear. By little, I mean it would be lost in the music unless you were close miked and recording. A thin wall wood snare will have tons of sustain, but that is not what I and most other drummers mean by ringing.

If you want a really cracking snare on backbeats and a snare that sounds great played lighter, you may have to have two snares in your set up. One wood and one steel for instance. I usually play a 5" brass snare tensioned medium. It is a compromise. It will not crack like a steel snare or be as loud as a deeper drum but it still sounds good at lower volumes.

• Members

I dont use moongells but it has always bugged me that in a live situation even with a fully miced up drum kit cross-sticks are never loud enough.. so since I have electronic pads mounted around my kit anyway for triggering sequencers and samplers I just use my Roland TD-1 for my crosssticking sounds.

The will probably offended the

• Members

Originally posted by CrackedDrumHead

Also, have someone else tap your snare drum while you stand back and listen to it...you might be surprised.

Excellent point by CrackedDrumHead. Too many people think the kits sound the same way to the audience that they sound to the drummer. They don't sound the same at all. A lot of that ring dissapears. Not just in your snare, but in all your drums.

When I was a kid I used to muffle the hell out of all my drums to get them to sound like my favorite drummers on the records I listened to. They did from my perspective, but they sounded completely dead when someone else played them.

• Members

Originally posted by Mopzilla

Try a square of chamois about 1.5" x 2", the wider side near the rim, held on the head by duct tape stuck on the rim (I keep it near the strainer). I've been using this technique for years and it always muffles just enough. Here's a pic from '02...
:)

Do you have die-cast hoops? Those make a huge difference.

Archived