So what's a good way to tell a drummer to stay in the pocket?

The*Ataris

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Ponch_A_Rella

Hahahah

If I had a producer/band member pull some {censored} like that on me I would grab some scissors, walk over to all the guitars leaving each with only 1 string, then I would punch the producer/band member in the face, pack up my drums, and leave.

Did you even read the story? I think it's an interesting lesson on changing things up to come up with a new way of playing.

Like your spunk though. We need more aggressive and less passive aggressive these days.

• Members

Ponch_A_Rella:

First of all, let me say that Tony Thompson is an all-time great drummer with amazing credentials and yet, early in his career, was willing to let a non-drummer experiment with his style and turned it into some classic music (whether you like it or not, Chic's music is classic). Believe me, he could play flashy. Once he matured and became an in-demand session player (post-Chic), he was able to use his judgment to decide when flashy playing would and wouldn't work. His Power Sation stuff was definitely flashy and powerful.

Back to your main issue (I think)...I don't think this thread this is necessarily about anyone saying that "less-is-more" is always better. We don't know the particular song or songs The*Ataris is concerned about in this case. We know his band plays rock music. That's pretty general. Some rock music sounds great with very busy grooves and a lot of flashy fills (Rush, early Pearl Jam). Some rock music sound terrible with very busy grooves and a lot of flashy fills (AC/DC, Nirvana).

All The*Ataris wanted to know is how to get his drummer to focus more on grooving during rehearsals because he is concerned that the songs aren't sounding as good as they can. It's his band so it's up to him how the music should sound and if the drummer is off-the-mark, then he SHOULD try and get him on track.

That said (written), I also think that, at least in cover bands, it's a pain to be the drummer when all the songs ever require is simplicity - that is, if you like to stretch out once in a while. I would advise anyone to give the drummer at least a few songs where he/she can express himself in his/her preferred way. So if the band plays mostly AC/DC-type stuff, throw in some Rush-type stuff that might fit in with the rest of the set if the drummer really enjoys that kind of music. Beleive me, I'm familiar with that type of situation. The last band I was in before my current one was a blues band and I NEVER got to play music that really fit my style. Now I'm in a band where we all decide what songs we're playing and are all willing to bend a little to allow each member have some fun.

• Members

:rolleyes: back at you.

You less is more guys crack me up

Does every song need double bass drum triplets and weird timed snare accents?? Well not if you are playing in a Beatles, Beach Boys, or Tom Petty Tribute band.... but damn sometimes you got to lay some funk on it.

It makes me want to vomit at how out of style being flashy is these days.

You know I probably would have a different less bitchy take on this subject it weren

• Members

Originally posted by ArtVandelay

Nada Surf is still around? I downloaded Popular a couple of weeks ago because I was thinking about suggesting it for my band. In the end, I wound up not suggesting it becaue we just wouldn't be able to make it at all authentic.

Oh yeah! Their two albums after that were probably better than that first one. They're getting ready to release another in about two months. They went through hell with their major label during their second album...

• Members

Hahahah

If I had a producer/band member pull some {censored} like that on me I would grab some scissors, walk over to all the guitars leaving each with only 1 string, then I would punch the producer/band member in the face, pack up my drums, and leave.

Personally, if I had a guy with an attitude like that playing with a band I was producing, I'd tell them to toss him shortly after I took away most of his little toys.

If someone can't manage to take creative direction without throwing a hissy fit, he probably wouldn't last long anyway.

I work with a handful of session guys in my studio on occasion, and the best one is this guy who always just shows up with kick, snare, floor tom, and 2 big thin jazz cymbals. He's played that kit on everything from country ballads to noise jams to hard rock and a bunch more. He manages to get the sounds of a rack full of toms and tons of cymbals out of a kit that fits in the back seat of his Civic.

That's talent. All a huge kit means is that you can afford it. Not that you're good, not that you're bad, just that you wanted more goodies. As an engineer (and a guy in a band) I'd rather work with somebody who's willing to give their ego a break for the good of the music.

• Members

Originally posted by HuskerDude

Personally, if I had a guy with an attitude like that playing with a band I was producing, I'd tell them to toss him shortly after I took away most of his little toys.

If someone can't manage to take creative direction without throwing a hissy fit, he probably wouldn't last long anyway.

I work with a handful of session guys in my studio on occasion, and the best one is this guy who always just shows up with kick, snare, floor tom, and 2 big thin jazz cymbals. He's played that kit on everything from country ballads to noise jams to hard rock and a bunch more. He manages to get the sounds of a rack full of toms and tons of cymbals out of a kit that fits in the back seat of his Civic.

That's
talent. All a huge kit means is that you can afford it. Not that you're good, not that you're bad, just that you wanted more goodies. As an engineer (and a guy in a band) I'd rather work with somebody who's willing to give their ego a break for the good of the music.

Wow I am happy for you and mega impressed with your producing abilities along with your talent at finding ideal session players like that drummer with

Archived