Versatile snare drum for recording

admiralfish

• Members

I'm not a drummer, but I am in the market for a snare drum for my studio. I'm looking for something versatile, but leaning more towards the hard rock/metal category since those are the kinds of bands I'm going to be recording with frequently.

I've seen a lot of talk about the Acrolite here, but the bids on E-Bay are far too much for me to justify spending on a used, beat up snare. I'm sure some are in great shape, and I'm sure they sound good....otherwise, people wouldn't be willing to spend so much. But, if there are any new models out there that have a wide tuning range and record well, I'd be interested.

Thanks

• Members

Birch, maple or brass.

Acrolite is a louder, less warm version of brass. I think it is more sought for live music. Most rock drummers will have a steel drum, so I would one of the above which will give you a warmer alternative. Birch sounds great and is relatively cheap compared to maple and brass.

• Members

For a studio, you want to cover the sounds that producers want the most before you get something unusual IMO. Maple and Brass are the most common sounds. Birch is popular too, and cheaper.

• Moderators

Originally posted by admiralfish

II've seen a lot of talk about the Acrolite here, but the bids on E-Bay are far too much for me to justify spending on a used, beat up snare. I'm sure some are in great shape, and I'm sure they sound good....

:confused:

Acrolites are like $100 and sound great- arguably the best "bang for the buck" snare around. What do you mean you can't justify the price???

• Members

Originally posted by Actionsquid

:confused:
Acrolites are like $100 and sound great- arguably the best "bang for the buck" snare around. What do you mean you can't justify the price???

The new ones, maybe. The "vintage" ones on E-Bay consistently go for well above $100. I know because I've bid on them.

I get the impression that the new ones aren't the same as the older ones. Is there any truth to that?

• Members

acrolite on ebay

heres one with a buy it now below 100 bucks. looking at the compleated auctions most of them go for about 100 bucks or a little more. im not even sure if they are still making them.

anyway, i find that just about all old ludwig drums record very well in the studio. its the sound rock n roll was built on. even now, most music is recorded with an old ludwig snare.

• Members

Originally posted by rambler1959

heres one with a buy it now below 100 bucks. looking at the compleated auctions most of them go for about 100 bucks or a little more. im not even sure if they are still making them.

anyway, i find that just about all old ludwig drums record very well in the studio. its the sound rock n roll was built on. even now, most music is recorded with an old ludwig snare.

Thanks! Good eye. I'll check that out now.

Archived