Tuning

Drummer Mike

• Members

Originally posted by BL_asd

yeah...we have same question here...i'll get my new drum set on monday..i have no idea how to put them together or tune them...

Best thing to do is find a pic of your kit online and just try to copy the set up. If you are mechanically inclined, it'll really help too. If you get really stumped, any drummer should be able to help.

The link Art provided is really good but probably too much info for a beginner. You are gonna have to spend a lot of time just getting lugs on one side in tune with one another. It takes a lot of practice and patience. Remember, small turns, even 16th of a turn on a lug will make an impact. I promise you, you will get tweeked tuning drums. Maybe you'll even wanna chop em up and burn them in your front yard after messing around for 3 hours on one drum.

• Members

Originally posted by Drummer Mike

Can someone direct me to a website that gives diagrams and examples of how to tune drums? Also, info about putting drums together would be helpful.

Thanks!

Buy an Evans drum head and look on the back, there you will find the diagram you seek my son. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by rumblebelly

Best thing to do is find a pic of your kit online and just try to copy the set up. If you are mechanically inclined, it'll really help too. If you get really stumped, any drummer should be able to help.

The link Art provided is really good but probably too much info for a beginner. You are gonna have to spend a lot of time just getting lugs on one side in tune with one another. It takes a lot of practice and patience. Remember, small turns, even 16th of a turn on a lug will make an impact. I promise you, you will get tweeked tuning drums. Maybe you'll even wanna chop em up and burn them in your front yard after messing around for 3 hours on one drum.

True, the info in the link can be overwhelming for a beginner, but well worth the patience in learning how he tunes.

Especially cool is how he explains adding punch to the kick by adding a half step to the tuning head. Art's is one of the best URL's for tuning.

• Members

Originally posted by PlayboyChris

What about one of these?

In reference to your response in another thread where you make it seem like no one's responding to your question in this thread:

I'm guessing the reason you didn't get a response is because there's already a very recent thread dedicated to this topic.

DrumDial thread

• Members

From another thread...

Tuning is in the ear of the beholder. The best way is to learn how to tune, then tune your largest tom. Try to get the heads the same 'pitch' and the same 'pitch' at every lug. Use your hand to mute the head your not hitting to determine the pitch of the head you are hitting. You also don't have to hit if very hard. In fact, I use my fingers to hit the drum near the edge when checking pitch at each lug. If anything, make the bottom head a little higher in pitch. Now your drum is 'in tune' with itself. Then tune the next drum the same way. Get the heads at the same pitch and each head with the same pitch at each lug. Now you can dial it in. If your drum is in tune with "itself" when you crank it a quarter turn at each lug, it still should be, but the result will be a higher pitch. So now hit the larger tom, now hit the smaller tom. Use YOUR EAR to determine if you like the interval. If not, tune the smaller tom up. Don't mess with the larger tom. Do this for all your toms. I do this for all 5 of my toms and it works very well.

Now the secret to tuning...each drum has a 'pitch' at which the head is most resonant. Starting with one head on the largest drum, doesn't matter which one, put the head on and crank it tight. Way above where you'd normally play it. Now hit it, it should sound muffled. Now loosen each lug about a half a turn and hit the drum. You'll notice that it will resonate more and more, utill it's too loose and the head will start to choke off again. Tighten the head to the point where it's most ressonate. Then put on the other head and match the pitch. That should sound totally excellent. From here, tune the next tom from the biggest on like I explained above.

Go out an conquer!

Archived