NEWWW cymbal

SublimeOi

• Members

Originally posted by SublimeOi

i just got a new 19" A custom crash and its pretty thin, like i can bend it easily with my hands... and im almost afriad to hit it hard because im afraid of cracking it or bending it or what not.....

Hmm..sounds pretty delicate. I recommend you don't ever play it.

Furthermore, the diameter is an odd number and everyone knows that cymbal diameters MUST be even number otherwise you risk damaging the cymbal - something about the resonant frequency of the alloy being better suited to even numbers.

Seriously.

No. Seriously.

• Members

Art...what are you smoking talking about even sizes man?

I've broken 3 cymbals and 2 were even sizes. I currently use a 16, 17, 18, and 19 in crash cymbals. ;)

As for that A custom being thin, I wouldn't worry about it. My 19 is an A Thin and it's the one that gets wacked the hardest coming off a long tom run. I love it because it explodes and goes away quickly. Plus, I can do that lame ass crash ride pattern on it.

• Members
Originally posted by SublimeOi

i just got a new 19" A custom crash and its pretty thin, like i can bend it easily with my hands... and im almost afriad to hit it hard because im afraid of cracking it or bending it or what not.....

Bash the living hell out of it!:mad:

• Members

There's some people that say that THICKER cymbals crack easier then thin ones. The logic flows that a thick cymbal doesn't "give" when you hit it, and so it's relatively more brittle. I guess that makes some sense...skyscrapers and bridges are designed to flex with stress, whereas if they were too stiff, they'd just crack.

Anyway, if you're TOO worried, just send it to me. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by Old Steve

There's some people that say that THICKER cymbals crack easier then thin ones. The logic flows that a thick cymbal doesn't "give" when you hit it, and so it's relatively more brittle. I guess that makes some sense...skyscrapers and bridges are designed to flex with stress, whereas if they were too stiff, they'd just crack.

Anyway, if you're TOO worried, just send it to me.
;)

That's true....and that 19" sounds great though i dont like it if it's over played - it tends to loose some it's tone when overhit!

• Members

;)

That's how I've always looked at it. I see more cracked Zil Zs and "rock" cymbals in the trash at our big practice space than I do thin cymbals.

Plus, IMO, thin cymbals sound better. More complex, less bright.

• Members

I think part of it is that you have to hit the heavy crashes hard all the time to make them sound right. A lighter crash will give you a nice explosion with a relatively light glancing blow.

• Members

Originally posted by ArtVandelay

Furthermore, the diameter is an odd number and everyone knows that cymbal diameters MUST be even number otherwise you risk damaging the cymbal - something about the resonant frequency of the alloy being better suited to even numbers.

Seriously.

No. Seriously.

seriously, that's malarky. a human diametrical measurement has no effect on how the resonant frequencey of a metal effects it's own stability.

• Members

Originally posted by MightyBricklayer

seriously, that's malarky. a human diametrical measurement has no effect on how the resonant frequencey of a metal effects it's own stability.

Do I really NEED to put smiley faces all over the place when I'm joking? I figured reapeating the word "Seriously" was enough, but I guess I've learned my lesson.

• Members

Originally posted by MightyBricklayer

Let me restate that then:

Furthermore, the diameter is an odd number and everyone knows that cymbal diameters MUST be even number otherwise you risk damaging the cymbal :D:) - something about the resonant frequency of the alloy being better suited to even numbers. :):D

Seriously.

:D :D

No. Seriously. :D:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

;)

I agree...

I've heard a lot of thicker cymbals cracking than thin ones. Maybe most drummers think that thicker cymbals have a less tendency to crack so they play with them harder!

• Members

Originally posted by KaoruKaido

I agree...

I've heard a lot of thicker cymbals cracking than thin ones. Maybe most drummers think that thicker cymbals have a less tendency to crack so they play with them harder!

I think a lot of it is also the fact that thicker cymbals are marketed towards "heavier" music, where the guys tend to hit harder anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by ArtVandelay

Let me restate that then:

Furthermore, the diameter is an odd number and everyone knows that cymbal diameters MUST be even number otherwise you risk damaging the cymbal
:D:)
- something about the resonant frequency of the alloy being better suited to even numbers.
:):D

Seriously.

:D
:D

No. Seriously.
:D:)

Are you serious?!?! :eek:

Archived