Marketing an image...resources needed

• Members

Where can I find out more about bands successfully creating an "image"?

More specifically, are there advantages to marketing the band as an individual with a back-up band?

Ex:

Band X

vs.

Joe Nobody and Band X

We've always pushed the band over individuals, but I am sick of hearing about bands with names like Jim Bob and the Fat Attack to find out Jim Bob isn't all that great at what he does. You know what I mean?

Around here, a lot of the bands with names like that don't have a frontman who is really above the norm. It also seems to put a target on the back of the band. "Wow, that Jim Bob better be the next Jimi Hendrix or he ain't carp!"

Our posters and press talk about the band and why you should see the band, rather then come see the world's greatest guitar player, or check out the amazing harmonica kind of stuff.

We're currently working on creating more of a set image within our band, and we're not sure if we want to push an individual or continue with pusing the band. Either way what we do is going to pretty much be the same. It is just a matter of perception from others. We want to take the route that makes us the most successful (better press, gigs, money, exposure).

Thanks.

• Members

Naming your band Joe Somebody and the Nobodies is a sure fire way to get lumped in with unhip, overaged, washed up, radio rock crap bands... at least in my town.

I'd say avoid it. It makes you look egotistical, at best.

• Members

Originally posted by HarpNinja

Where can I find out more about bands successfully creating an "image"?

More specifically, are there advantages to marketing the band as an individual with a back-up band?

Ex:

Band X

vs.

Joe Nobody and Band X

We've always pushed the band over individuals, but I am sick of hearing about bands with names like Jim Bob and the Fat Attack to find out Jim Bob isn't all that great at what he does. You know what I mean?

Around here, a lot of the bands with names like that don't have a frontman who is really above the norm. It also seems to put a target on the back of the band. "Wow, that Jim Bob better be the next Jimi Hendrix or he ain't carp!"

Our posters and press talk about the band and why you should see the band, rather then come see the world's greatest guitar player, or check out the amazing harmonica kind of stuff.

We're currently working on creating more of a set image within our band, and we're not sure if we want to push an individual or continue with pusing the band. Either way what we do is going to pretty much be the same. It is just a matter of perception from others. We want to take the route that makes us the most successful (better press, gigs, money, exposure).

Thanks.

It's far more easy to market an individual than a band. I left a band and went out on my own, hired all my players, wrote all the songs, paid for all the CDs, made my own website, and it's worked out great. A few players come and go, but it's my name on it, not theirs, so it's not a big deal.

I don't have to do band pictures, I don't have to run every decision I make by 4 or 5 other guys, I don't argue over what promo shots to use or who to send it to or any of that.

Ultimately, in the music business, the only product any of us have to sell is ourselves. If you can do that collectively as a band, then that's great. I just got tired of one or two guys holding me back.

It's true, you have a lot more pressure on you to deliver, but I see that as a good thing. I'm not the best frontman in the world, not the best guitar player, not the best songwriter, certainly not the best singer. But fronting my own band and marketing my own name has made me get better at all of it. If I would have tried the solo thing and I never got booked or asked back anywhere, never sold any CDs, never got invited to any festivals or concerts, that would have been a good message that I'm not a sellable commodity. Fortunately, that didn't happen. I could have lived with it if it did, though.

Archived